first_imgThe government has “betrayed” people who use social care by deciding to postpone the introduction of a cap on their care charges, according to a leading disabled figure.Sue Bott (pictured), deputy chief executive of Disability Rights UK, spoke out this week following the government’s decision to abandon the key manifesto pledge, just weeks after the general election.She said the move provides further evidence that “to all intents and purposes, the state is opting out of social care”.The cap was due to be introduced next April, but social care minister Alistair Burt announced in a letter to the Local Government Association last month that he had “taken the difficult decision to delay the introduction of the cap on care costs system” until April 2020.The cap was expected to add £6 billion to government spending over the next five years, but Burt said in his letter that it was “not the right moment to be implementing expensive new commitments”.The cap would have placed a lifetime limit of £72,000 on the amount an individual had to pay in care charges towards meeting their assessed and eligible care needs.Bott told Disability News Service (DNS) that the postponement meant that councils would continue to increase care charges.She said: “The basic problem here is that the Department of Health does not even collect statistics on how much councils are charging for care, so the government has no consistent idea of what councils are charging.”She said some councils were even beginning to charge new service-users before they had had an assessment of their financial position, while many people were being forced to pay care charges from their disability benefits, particularly disability living allowance and personal independence payment.In a blog posted today (Thursday), Bott says the decision to postpone the cap’s introduction will mean that “hundreds of thousands of disabled people who rely on social care support will have to pay ever rising local authority charges for the foreseeable future”.She also says she disagrees with the decision of the Care and Support Alliance – of which Disability Rights UK is a member – to welcome the postponement.She told DNS: “I don’t mind saying that I am cross with them because the alliance didn’t put in a response to the government’s care funding consultation [last year] simply because we didn’t have agreement amongst ourselves about what position to take.“So I don’t understand why, when the government announced this delay, they decided to comment. It doesn’t seem right to me.”She believes that introducing the cap next April, as planned, would have forced the issue of social care funding into the public spotlight.On 4 June, the Association of Directors of Adult Social Care pointed out that social care funding had already been cut from £14.9 billion to £13.3 billion (a fall of 10.7 per cent) between 2010-11 and 2015-16.The cap would have helped working-age disabled people as well as older people, and would have meant that anyone who developed eligible care needs before the age of 25 would have paid nothing towards that support for life.The changes would also have meant that other working-age disabled people – those who developed their care needs after 25 – would have been left with a higher guaranteed minimum income, after paying any care charges.For working-age disabled people with care needs, the cap would have helped them escape the “huge injustice” of not being able to save any money, for example towards a holiday or their older age, Bott says in her blogShe adds: “Why should those of us who happen to have a care need be so much worse off than everyone else?”She concludes: “Not only is the postponement of the care cap a betrayal of a Conservative Party manifesto commitment; it is a betrayal of social care itself.”last_img read more

first_imgTHERE are just TWO days to go before we kick off Super League XVIII at home to Huddersfield Giants.Saints take on Paul Anderson’s side this Saturday at 4.45pm and tickets for the big clash are now on sale.Continuing our countdown, we have TWO current Men of Steel at the Saints.Paul Wellens won the accolade in 2006 whilst James Roby wrestled the crown from him in 2007.And what price on either repeating the feat in 2013?Both are featured on the latest edition of the latest edition of the In Touch podcast.Alongside Nathan Brown, we speak to Wello an Robes ahead of the new campaign.To listen click here or search for St Helens RFC on iTunes.The Podcast, in partnership with 105.9 Citytalk, also includes an interview with Brian Barwick, the new Chairman of the Rugby Football league.Remember if you want a question answering on the Podcast drop us a line @saints1890 on twitter or email podcast@saintsrlfc.comTickets for Saturday’s match are now on sale from the Ticket Office at Langtree Park, by calling 01744 455 052 or by logging on here.last_img read more

first_img The Fore IV Invitational brings in thousands of dollars annually for CT Shaw, IV.He is 6 and lives with cystic fibrosis, a genetic disease causing lung infections and limiting the ability to breath.Learn more about the non-profit Four IV. Four IV will fundraise for the benefit of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (Photo: Andrew James) LELAND, NC (WWAY) — They may have hit a couple bogies, maybe some were way over par but for the 5th year in the row it is a hole in one for a local boy with cystic fibrosis.More than 90 golfers played this year’s event at Compass Pointe.- Advertisement – last_img

first_imgWILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — A day after the state announced plans to revoke Chemours’ permit to discharge process wastewater from its Fayetteville Works plant, the company says it disagrees with the move.“We believe the NC DEQ’s stated intention to suspend and revoke the process wastewater discharge permit for Fayetteville Works is unwarranted,” the company said in an emailed statement to WWAY.- Advertisement – Yesterday the NC Department of Environmental Quality announced today it is moving to revoke Chemours’ permit to discharge process wastewater because the company failed to comply with its permit and failed to report an October spill.In addition to moving to revoke Chemours wastewater permit, DEQ officials also notified Chemours the state will suspend its permit to discharge process wastewater from its manufacturing area including the areas where GenX and other fluorinated compounds are produced. The suspension will take effect Nov. 30. Chemours is still required by the state to divert wastewater containing GenX and transport it out-of-state for disposal.“The [c]ompany has worked in good faith to cooperate fully with all of DEQ’s requests, including capturing all wastewater they have previously requested that we capture,” the Chemours statement continued. “While we do not believe there is a legal basis on which to suspend or revoke the permit, we will accept the (Division of Water Resources’) invitation in its letter that we meet with them and look forward to discussing a path forward.  We remain committed to operating this facility, which employs hundreds of North Carolina residents, in accordance with all applicable laws and in a manner that respects the environment and public health and safety.”Related Article: Pender Co. mosquito program earns awardThe revocation of Chemours’ permit to discharge process wastewater from its manufacturing areas will take effect after the required 60-day notice to Chemours and public participation in the permit process. The revocation does not apply to process wastewater from Kuraray and Dupont facilities that is treated and discharged by Chemours under the wastewater discharge permit.Earlier this week, DEQ cited Chemours with violating the conditions of its wastewater discharge permit because of the company’s failure to report the Oct. 6 spill. The spill came to light one month after it occurred when DEQ officials questioned Chemours about state water quality results indicating elevated concentrations of GenX at Chemours’ primary wastewater discharge outfall.Chemours wastewater discharge permit requires that DEQ be notified within 24 hours of any discharge of significant amounts of waste that are abnormal in quantity or characteristic, as well as any non-compliance that potentially threatens public health or the environment.DEQ determined that Chemours’ violation of the reporting requirements in the permit following the Oct. 6 spill are sufficient basis for the revocation of the permit to discharge process wastewater. DEQ will continue to collect and test water samples from the Cape Fear River including at the Chemours outfall.last_img read more

first_img Guests can enjoy food from Lowes Foods, Tropical Smoothie Café and Waffle House and have a chance to win tickets to the museum’s upcoming Fall Festival. #92 NASCAR CWTS/Black’s Tire/Ricky Benton Racing team’s show truck will also be in attendance“It’s a small gesture to thank the community for 21 years of caring, support, and generosity,” said Jim Karl, CMoW Executive Director. “We hope to continue to be a key asset in our community for another 21 years to come.”Last year, CMoW welcomed more than 600 guests in a single day which was the record number of patrons at the Museum.Related Article: Music on Market begins 2018-2019 season this week“Community Day will be a fun-filled event this year,” said Heather Bowman, CMoW Development Coordinator. “We are so grateful for all of the Museum guests that have supported us over the years and we are thrilled to have the opportunity to show our appreciation. We are incredibly thankful to all of the community businesses and organizations that are participating in this event.”For more information on everything the Museum has to offer, please visit www.playwilmington.org. WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Next weekend, enjoy face painting, balloon making, treats and more at The Children’s Museum of Wilmington’s 2nd Annual Community Day.On September 9, families of all ages can stop by the museum from 1-5 p.m. The event, which includes free admission to the museum, will feature the UNCW Women’s Basketball team, Wilmington Hammerhead soccer players and the New Hanover High School football team.- Advertisement – last_img read more

first_imgWater rescues in Pender County following Hurricane Florence on Sept. 18, 2018. (Photo: WWAY) PENDER COUNTY, NC (Press Release) — Immediately following Hurricane Florence, Pender County Emergency Management and the Pender County Commissioners requested FEMA Disaster Relief Centers (DRCs) to assist our residents with assistance.Today FEMA announced 8a Mobile Disaster Recovery Center (MDRC) is available for individuals who need closer access or who have lost internet capabilities. The MDRC is located at 801 S. Walker St., in Burgaw, Friday at 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. and will be there through Sat., Oct. 6.- Advertisement – FEMA established a DRC at Caswell Presbyterian Church in Atkinson. The DRC will be open from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Saturday, and Sundays 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.A longer-term Disaster Recovery Center site for the county will open soon. However, Pender County continues their request for a Mobile Disaster Center for the Hampstead, Scotts Hill, Surf City and Topsail Beach area.According to FEMA, in the three weeks since the federal disaster declaration for Hurricane Florence, Pender County residents have received more than $20 million in state and federal funds and more than $9.2 million in state and federal grants to nearly 1,900 homeowners and renters.Related Article: FEMA to reach out to Hurricane Florence victims still living in hotelsMore than $2.8 million in claims paid to more than 1,000 National Flood Insurance Program policyholders, according to FEMA. More than $8.2 million in U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) low-interest disaster loans approved for 142 homeowners and renters and five businesses in Pender County.Regarding individual assistance, 5,631 home inspections were issued with approximately 90 percent of home inspections completed.An estimated 490 inspections have an “Inaccessible” status. This is the number of applicants who had an initial meeting with an inspector who determined that the dwelling is inaccessible. These applicants need to contact FEMA to reschedule an inspection when their homes are accessible.In regard to Disaster Survivor Assistance (DSA), 942 interactions with survivors by FEMA have been conducted. As of Oct. 4, there are two DSA crews working in Pender County, including a Mobile Registration Intake Center which opened when more than 4,000 residents applied for food stamp assistance at the county agricultural building with our department of social services. The FEMA intake center is tentatively slated to close Oct. 6.Pender County Emergency Management will post updates on the Facebook page at facebook.com/penderem and on the county’s website www.pendercountync/.gov. If you need assistance call the EM office at (910) 259-1210.last_img read more

first_imgHalloween Candy (Photo: MGN Online) CAPE FEAR REGION (WWAY) — We have a couple of ways for you to get rid of your extra Halloween candy.Bozart Family Dentistry is paying patients $1 for every pound of Halloween candy up to 5 pounds. All candy will be sent to troops overseas. Bring your candy to either location Saturday 9 a.m. till noon.- Advertisement – In Hampstead, Surf City Dental is hosting “Operation Cash-For-Candy”.Bring your candy for $2 a pound up to five pounds during business hours Friday. Their candy will also go to troops.last_img

first_imgFarm fresh collard greens wait for a buyer at Sunny Rowe Farm Market in Pender County on Dec. 31, 2018. (Photo: Matt Bennett/WWAY) PENDER COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — If you’re looking to ring in the new year in the traditional southern fashion – with collard greens and black-eyed peas – you might have some difficulty.According to the tradition, eating black-eyed peas and collard greens is supposed to bring good luck and prosperity in the new year.- Advertisement – But Pender County farmer David Rowe says 2018 was a bad year for collards. He says Hurricane Florence combined with this year’s record rainfall made it extremely difficult to grow crops.Rowe replanted collard greens after the hurricane, but HE says they had less time to grow, which made them smaller than usual.“I hope that next year will be better,” said Rowe, who owns Sunny Rowe Farm Market. “I don’t know. Like I said, this year has been a challenge. Every year is different in farming, but it seems like we’re having a lot more of these torrential rains than we did in years past. We’ll just have to wait and see and hope for the best.”Related Article: University breaks ground on new student housingRowe says his family has been farming for four generations, and you have to really love it to do it.He says he’s looking forward to strawberry season.last_img read more

first_img “Most of the people in the Coast Guard I would say by the majority live paycheck to paycheck,”said Scott Paradis.Paradis would know, he spent nearly 30 years in the Coast Guard. Although he lives in New Orleans, his journey began right here in Wilmington. After he graduated from UNCW, he joined the USCG. Paradis is in town seeing family, but it’s what he’s not seeing that is bothering him.“Even if there is not a need. I think the city should reach out to find out if there is,” said Paradis after a weeklong of seeing no news about how the shutdown is impacting the military branch.Related Article: 2 arrested after drug bust at Wilmington home with infant insideFortunately, in many ways the Cape Fear community is stepping up. From breweries and restaurants, to golf clubs and congregations, they have all reached out to monetarily help USCG members or other federal workers impacted.Paradis, however, wants to see a message of support from Wilmington city leaders.For more than 15 years Wilmington has been a designated Coast Guard City.“This is a uniformed military service that is doing their damnedest to protect us from harm, to protect us from terrorism and they’re doing it without pay,” said Paradis.The designation means cities like Wilmington have pledged to stand up for Coast Guard members, welcome them, and support their welfare. Paradis says he just hasn’t seen it.“Do you need help right now? Do you need us to help you,” said Paradis laying out questions he hopes the city is sending to USCG officers. “We’re just not getting it right now, we’re just not getting it.”So what will or can Mayor Bill Saffo and the city do to step up for the Coast Guard?“What I promise to do is to contact our elected officials in Washington and let them know but also let the leadership know and the President know that this is important to our communities,” said Mayor Saffo laying the blame on Congressional leaders.These men and women answered the call continuing to serve in the most taxing time possibly in the military branches history. Hopefully Washington will answer the call by Wilmington to get these people paid.“To see these people not being paid bothers me tremendously and this is not right,” said Saffo.Mayor Saffo says he has not heard any request for aid formally from the local Coast Guard at this time. WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) —  For more than a month now the members of the United State Coast Guard have had to worry when they will get their next paycheck. So far they’ve missed a couple of checks.The USCG Cutter Diligence sits on the banks of a Coast Guard City. One man wants Wilmington city leaders to do more about service members feeling the impacts of the shutdown.- Advertisement – last_img read more