first_imgGovernor Wolf Joins Philadelphia Mayor Kenney to Announce City’s Opioid Task Force Report Press Release,  Public Health,  Public Safety,  Substance Use Disorder Philadelphia, PA – Today, Governor Tom Wolf joined Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney as the mayor announced the city’s Opioid Task Force Report, completed to provide a path forward on the ongoing battle of the heroin and opioid epidemic in Philadelphia and around the state.“The task force report, and the recommendations it contains, align with the efforts that we have made at the state level to give our local municipalities and cities, our first responders, our law enforcement officials, and all of our citizens the tools they need to save the life of a loved one – and get them into quality and proven treatment programs,” Governor Wolf said. “I applaud the mayor and the task force for the commitment to fighting this epidemic that is a scourge on our state and the City of Philadelphia.”The mayor’s task force was charged with developing a comprehensive and coordinated plan to reduce opioid abuse, dependence and overdose in Philadelphia and draft a report of findings and recommendations for action to the mayor. The 23-member task force, co-chaired by Dr. Evans, Philadelphia Behavioral Health & Intellectual disAbility Services (DBHIDS), and Commissioner Dr. Thomas Farley of the Philadelphia Department of Public Health, met semi-monthly for two-hour meetings between January 11 and March 22, to produce the final report announced today.“The opioid epidemic has been taking lives, destroying families and undermining the quality of life of Philadelphians across the city,” Mayor Kenney said. “This report and its recommendations offer a roadmap as to how, together, we can take action and adequately address this problem to reduce use and the devastating loss of life this epidemic is causing.”The task force also included five subcommittees focused on:Data Analysis and SharingPublic Education and Prevention StrategiesJustice System, Law Enforcement, and First RespondersService Access, Best Practices, and Treatment ProvidersOverdose Prevention and Harm ReductionFor more information on the task force report, visit dbhids.org/opioid. May 19, 2017center_img SHARE Email Facebook Twitterlast_img read more

first_imgThe European Commission has summoned the Netherlands to the European Court of Justice (ECJ) for taxing pensions moving abroad.It argued that the taxation conflicts with the principle of free movement of capital.According to the EC, workers must be able to transfer pension capital to another member state, even if the country of destination allows taking out a lump sum of up to the entire pension entitlement.Twelve member states, including Germany, Belgium and Denmark, have already introduced this option, however, in the Netherlands, the country is only to allow a limited lump sum as part of its pending pensions reform; and it levies a tax on value transfer to these member states, while refraining from taxation in case of a domestic transfer. The EC concluded that this approach “seriously hinders the principles of free traffic of workers, services and capital”.It had already started an infringement procedure against the Netherlands in 2012, followed by a “reasoned advice” in 2018.As the Netherlands had ignored the call for legal adjustments, the EC has now issued the country a subpoena to appear before the ECJ.Erik Lutjens and Hans van Meerten, both professors of European pension law, indicated that the Netherlands might not have implemented pensions directive IORP II correctly on collective value transfer, as the Dutch rules are stricter for foreign transfers.Van Meerten said he had lodged a complaint with the EC, which could lead to a substantive infringement procedure.Meubel, the €3.5bn Dutch pension fund for the furnishing sector, has announced that it will replace its current pensions provider Centric with TKP Pensioen.To read the digital edition of IPE’s latest magazine click here.last_img read more

first_imgCincinnati, Oh. — A South Ripley High School student saved a customer’s life by administering CPR on his second day working at a Cincinnati area fast food restaurant.Austin Goddard was clearing tables when he noticed a customer having a medical emergency. After other patrons asked if anyone knew CPR he immediately took charge. The customer was treated by paramedics and transported to a hospital for treatment and is recovering.Days after the event members of the customer’s family returned to the store to thank Austin and show him a picture of the man he saved in a much healthier condition.South Ripley School Corporation superintendent Rob Moorhead said all 10th graders receive CPR instruction during health class. He praised the efforts of Marlin Kohlmeier, teacher and school resource officer Jeff Thielking.Austin will be a junior at South Ripley High School this year.last_img read more

first_imgThe St Louis Golf team traveled to the rolling hills of Dearborn Country Club, Monday night, to face South Dearborn and Batesville Middle School. The conditions were ideal for scoring. Batesville finished first with a 175 followed by St Louis with 215 and South Dearborn with 277. Scoring for St Louis were Jackson Wanstrath, Cody Mohr, Cayden Pohlman, and Eli Voglesang.The Cardinals face St Mary’s of Greensburg Tuesday night at North Branch.Courtesy of Cardinals Coach Randy Streator.last_img

first_imgJohannesburg: Quinton de Kock on Tuesday was named South Africa’s new Twenty20 skipper for the three-match series against India in September, which will not feature former captain Faf Du Plessis in the squad.However, du Plessis will continue to lead South Africa in the three-Test series that follows the T20s, with Temba Bavuma named his vice-captain, Cricket South Africa announced.“I would like to stress that Faf du Plessis remains an important part of our plans for white-ball cricket,” said CSA Acting Director, Corrie van Zyl.Rassie van Der Dussen will play deputy to de Kock in the T20 squad.“The T20 Series gives us the last chance to have a look at our leadership and batting options as the next edition of the T20 World Cup is now little more than a year away which is why we have gone with an inexperienced leadership group. This is our last chance to do this before we settle on an established squad,” he added.Veteran fast bowler Dale Steyn, who recently retired from Test cricket, was overlooked from the T20 series by the CSA.Steyn expressed his surprise at not being picked. In a critic Twitter conversation with a local journalist, the 36-year-old informed that he had made himself available to the CSA.“I did… Obviously lost my number in the reshuffling of coaching staff. Apologies to Virat and a billion people for thinking they not,” Steyn tweeted.Meanwhile, both T20 and Test squads will feature three uncapped players.Pacer Anrich Nortje features in both the squads, batsman Bavuma, spin bowling all-rounder Bjorn Fortuin will feature in the T20 squad. Wicketkeeper Rudi Second and spin-bowling all-rounder Senuran Muthusamy were handed Test caps.“All three newcomers to the Test side have more than earned their spurs through impressive performances in last season’s Four-Day Franchise competition,” van Zyl said.“As far as the T20 squad is concerned, Temba Bavuma and Bjorn Fortuin were two of the standout players in the CSA T20 Challenge last season while Nortje was outstanding in the Mzansi Super League until ruled out by injury.”CSA also said Aiden Markram, Theunis de Bruyn and Lungi Ngidi were not considered for the T20s as they will be preparing for the Test series by playing in South Africa A’s four-day matches against India A.“We feel we have covered all the options for the conditions we are likely to encounter on the sub-continent with Muthusamy and Dane Piedt, who was far and away the leading wicket-taker in our Four-Day competition, providing the back-up to Keshav Maharaj.”South Africa will travel to India for a three-match T20 series starting from September 15. The two sides will then compete in a three-match Test series.Test match squad: Faf du Plessis (capt), Temba Bavuma (vice-capt), Theunis de Bruyn, Quinton de Kock, Dean Elgar, Zubayr Hamza, Keshav Maharaj, Aiden Markram, Senuran Muthusamy, Lungi Ngidi, Anrich Nortje, Vernon Philander, Dane Piedt, Kagiso Rabada, Rudi Second.T20I squad: Quinton de Kock (capt), Rassie van der Dussen (vice-capt), Temba Bavuma, Junior Dala, Bjorn Fortuin, Beuran Hendricks, Reeza Hendricks, David Miller, Anrich Nortje, Andile Phehlukwayo, Dwaine Pretorius, Kagiso Rabada, Tabraiz Shamsi, Jon-Jon Smuts. For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.last_img read more

first_imgAs the oldest student organization at USC, the Trojan Debate Squad has more than 70 members — and some of these students are making their mark on the national stage.Seniors Aron Berger and Hex Larsen were both given Cross Examination Debate Association National Debate Scholar summa cum laude awards for academic excellence. Photo courtesy of Kiran Dhillon.This year, two USC seniors received the highest honors in national debate tournaments for their academic excellence, debate success and contributions to the community.Hex Larsen, a senior majoring in gender studies, and Aron Berger, a senior majoring in philosophy, politics and law, received several recognitions at this year’s Cross Examination Debate Association National Tournament and the National Debate Tournament.After the duo competed together in the CEDA National Tournament, Larsen was the first USC debater to be ranked the top speaker in the tournament’s 47-year history.“I was awarded top speaker out of 150 debaters at the tournament — it’s the largest national championship,” Larsen said. “To be the first USC top speaker of the CEDA tournament is really an honor.”Larsen was also awarded the CEDA Brian “Baby Jo” Johnston Debater of the Year Award, which recognizes an outstanding debater who demonstrates a commitment to the highest values of the debate community.“The Debater of the Year award is not just about debate success, but it is also about camaraderie and what it means to be a community member in debate,” Larsen said. “Being awarded was really special to me. It really illuminated the impact I’ve had on others.”Larsen and Berger, who also compete as a team, were each awarded CEDA National Debate Scholar summa cum laude awards for academic excellence, as well as All American Debate Squad awards for competitive and academic success, good conduct and contributions to the squad.At the 72nd annual NDT, the duo received an overall yearly ranking of ninth best debate team in the country.Kiran Dhillon is the Trojan Debate Squad’s first female director, and under her leadership, the team has been ranked in the top 50 teams in the nation for two years in a row.“I’m really proud of [Larsen and Berger],” Dhillon said. “In the time I’ve been at USC I’ve seen them help to transform the squad.”When they are not competing, Larsen and Berger participate in community service programs for the Los Angeles Metropolitan Debate League, mentor youth across Los Angeles and coach younger members of the Debate Squad. Larsen and Berger said they plan to continue applying the skills they have learned for the past few years in debate to their work within the community and in their daily lives.“Because the [debate] topic was about health care this year, throughout the year Aron and I had to have some really serious conversations about what it meant to care for one another and in what ways we were not being caring to one another and to people outside of us,” Larsen said.Other argument topics of this year included the interconnection between health care and the military and the effect of cleanliness on personal views of health.“I hope [our work] has a lasting impression on how people in debate care for each other,” Berger said. “ I just think if there’s a topic, there’s an academic obligation to really get at it and interrogate it.”Dhillon says the two seniors have made their mark on the debate community. “There are so many things I’ll remember about [Larsen and Berger],” Dhillon said. “They’ve both been active participants in a larger debate community that sometimes gets stuck in the minutia of competition and forgets about the day-to-day care about one another.”last_img read more

first_imgThe Republic of Ireland squad return to training in Versaille this morning.It’s ahead of their must-win final Group E clash against Italy.Jonathan Walters, who missed the 3-0 defeat to Belgium with an Achilles problem, is the only injury doubt. Ireland will need to beat Italy on Wednesday to stay in the tournament.To action on the pitch at the Euros today…a win for England would guarantee their place in the last 16.They face Slovakia in Saint Etienne at 8pm.The goals in their 2-1 win over Wales were scored by substitutes Jamie Vardy and Daniel Sturridge.Also in Group B, Wales face Russia in Toulouse at the same time.Victory would also seal their place in the knockout stages.last_img

first_imgPresident Barack Obama speaks in the East Room at the White House in Washington, Thursday, May 29, 2014, during the White House Healthy Kids and Safe Sports Concussion Summit. Obama was hosting a summit with representatives of professional sports leagues, coaches, parents, young athletes, researchers and others to call attention to the issue of youth sports concussions. Pictured from left to right: LaVar Arrington, former NFL linebacker; Victoria Bellucci, a high school soccer player from Huntingtown, Md.; Taylor Twellman, former professional soccer player; Gen. Ray Odierno, Chief of Staff of the United States Army. (AP Photo/Charles Dharapak) WASHINGTON (AP) — NFL teams and the league’s foundation will fund trainers in underserved high schools nationwide in a $1 million program.An announcement was made Thursday as part of a White House summit on youth sports safety.The program, a collaboration with the National Athletic Trainers’ Association (NATA) and the Professional Football Athletic Trainers Society (PFATS), is part of $25 million committed by the NFL Foundation over the next three years toward health and safety projects.According to NATA, only 55 percent of high school athletes nationwide have access to a full-time certified trainer. Access is particularly challenging in low-income and rural communities.The outreach program will provide certified trainers in NFL communities. NFL teams will identify schools in their region that are eligible.___AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org and www.twitter.com/AP_NFLlast_img read more

first_img…face disfigured; 5 in custodyPolice are investigating the circumstances surrounding the ghastly murder of 18-year-old Qualfon receptionist Raynelle Benfield.Benfield, of Lot 99 Canterbury Walk, Beterverwagting, East Coast Demerara (ECD), was discovered dead in a cemetery in her home village, with her face completely disfigured. Residents made the discovery after 07:00h on Monday.Her hands were resting on her chest while the pair of jeans she was wearing was pulled to her knees.Murdered: Raynelle BenfieldGuyana Times was told that the teen left home on Saturday morning for work and after she did not return home that evening, her relatives were under the impression that she was working overtime. However, much to their dismay, they received a call informing them that her body was found in the cemetery.Investigators are working on the theory that the teen might have been sexually assaulted before her face was bashed in with a heavy object, believed to be a stone. The teen’s relatives were questioned by investigators about her social life and acquaintances. Police later in the day visited the homes of several young men in the area who are believed to be members of a gang.However, as relatives attempted to speak to the media about the incident, they were cautioned against this by the Police.This newspaper could not have confirmed if the teen used the company’s transportation or public transport to go home.However, Police later confirmed that a total of five persons were currently in custody, including Benfield’s boyfriend. Reports reaching this publication indicated that the boyfriend, a suspected gang member, dated a female relative of Benfield sometime in the recent past and a fallout occurred over this issue.Investigations into the brutal murder are ongoing as Police continue to gather more information.last_img read more

first_imgCALABASAS – A photograph of Soviet film pioneer Sergei Eisenstein and a poster from an early Bette Davis movie commanded huge prices Thursday at the opening day of an auction of Hollywood memorabilia. The photo of Eisenstein, the silent movie director and film theorist, was taken by famed photographer Man Ray, said Joe Maddalena, president of Profiles in History, which put on the auction. “It was inscribed to Eisenstein by Man Ray and I had it estimated at about $4,000 or $5,000,” Maddalena said. It sold for $70,000, a price he called “enormous.” A six-sheet poster for Davis’ 1938 film “Jezebel” was estimated at $20,000 to $30,000. It also brought in $70,000. “Thursday was like the soup before the main course. Friday’s the main course,” Maddalena said. “We’ll have stuff going for six figures.” — On the Net: http://www.profilesinhistory.com/160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhicker: Clemson demonstrates that it’s tough to knock out the champ The prices didn’t include an 18-percent fee charged by the auction house. The identity of the buyers was not released, but Maddalena said bidders came from as far away as China, Japan, Germany and Brazil. The bidding was expected to grow more intense on Friday when movie props – such as a full-scale T-Rex head from “Jurassic Park and Julie Andrews’ coat from “Mary Poppins” – go on sale. A model T-800 endoskeleton from “Terminator 2: Judgment Day” was expected to bring in from $80,000 to $100,000, Maddalena said. Captain Jean Luc Picard’s Enterprise E command chair from the Star Trek movie was estimated at up to $60,000.last_img read more