first_imgDES MOINES — Governor Kim Reynolds has given the green light to a new “blackout” license plate design.“Evidently it’s popular,” Reynolds said during an interview with Radio Iowa. “I have not even seen one on a car.”The “blackout” design has been on the road for a few years. More than 800 Iowans have purchased the specialty license plate for the Dordt College Defenders. It has a black background. The letters and numbers are white. Legislators tucked language creating a new “blackout” license plate — without the reference to Dordt College — in a multi-subject bill the governor approved this week.You may recall that in August of 2017, Reynolds spearheaded a public vote on three designs for new “standard-issue” state license plates. The chosen design and color scheme have sparked complaints.“We’re so many limited in what we can do because there are so many requirements,” Reynolds told Radio Iowa. “Sure, we’d like all sorts of different things on them. We just don’t have the luxury of doing that.”Iowans who don’t want the standard-issue license plate can pay extra for specialty plates for their vehicles. As Radio Iowa reported last week, the DOT plans to start taking orders for the new “blackout” plates on July 1.last_img read more

first_imgBefore the football season began most picked the Allderdice Dragons to win it all in City League play because of the wealth of talent they had coming back from the previous season. But once the season started, most moved to Brashear, after their impressive 22-13 win over USO. But after it was all said and done, it was USO that emerged as the best team in the city, going 6-0 while shutting out all their opponents in league play after the loss to Brashear. Jaylen Coleman, USOOffensive MVP Allderdice dropped back in the pack with loses to Perry, Brashear, and USO. In the playoffs it was all USO as they defeated all comers including Brashear in the championship game. During the regular season they compiled 198 points while only allowing the 22 points in the first game against Brashear. Brashear finished second with 47 points allowed. Allderdice came closest to them on offense with 187 points. This gave fans hope that at last the City League would have a victory in PIAA play, but that was not to occur.Thus the 2011 New Pittsburgh Courier All-City Football team is a reflection of the regular season, with USO (20) dominating the team. The other winning teams Brashear (10), Allderdice (11) and Perry (9), pretty much rounded out the team. The rest of the league Oliver, Carrick, Westinghouse and Langley as expected placed only a few players on the team. Langley only had one and Oliver, Westinghouse and Carrick had 3 each.USO composed of University Prep, Sci-Tech, and Obama, dominated on both sides of the ball, offense and defense, which the All-City team reflects with 10 on offense and 10 on defense.Jaylen Coleman was easily the Offensive Most Valuable Player, and came in a very close second to Jay Barlow of Allderdice as the Defensive Most Valuable Player.Lou Berry was easily the Coach of The Year with no other coach receiving two or more votes. He did an outstanding job with not only a new team, but three schools being combined for the first time. Other coaches who did outstanding jobs this season were Rick Murphy from Brashear, and Bill Gallagher from Perry. Everyone pretty much overlooked Perry at the start of the season but as usual Coach Gallagher had them playing very solid football on both sides of the ball as they finished ahead of Allderdice with a 5-2 league record. As a result they had 9 players on the team, 4 offense and 5 defense.Brashear, having won the regular season, had 6 on offense and 10 on defense.Despite a somewhat disappointing year, Allderdice still did well placing 5 players on offense and 6 on defense.On the Special Teams, kicker Jesse Irwin of Allderdice and kick returner Manny Reed of Brashear were selected. This was Reed’s third consecutive year.2011 All-City TeamOFFENSIVE MOST VALUABLE PLAYERJaylen Coleman, USODEFENSIVE MOST VALUABLE PLAYERJay Barlow, AllderdiceCOACH OF THE YEARLou Berry, USOFIRST TEAM ALL-CITY OFFENSEQB Adam Lynch BrashearRB Jaylen Coleman USORB Pat Ferguson AllderdiceR Will Graham AllderdiceR Manny Reed BrashearR Kevin Wilson WestinghouseOL Nick Eritz PerryOL Malcolm Moore USOOL John Jackson USOOL Matt Moss AllderdiceOL Scott Evans BrashearSECOND TEAM ALL-CITY OFFENSEQB Donte Forte USORB Kevaun Frenzley USORB Joel Nesbit BrashearR Jay Barlow AllderdiceR Myles Caitlin USOR Rick Gay BrashearOL Jermaine Herring PerryOL Tyrique Jarrett AllderdiceOL Josh Walker CarrickOL Deandre Caviness USOOL Jordan Maben BrashearHONORABLE ­MENTION OFFENSEQB Darrelle Carson PerryQB Joquan Green LangleyR Orlando Harvard CarrickR Marcus Johnson USOOL Jordan Clayton PerryOL Jermaine Brown USOOL Neal Bell USOOL Josh Walker CarrickFIRST TEAM ALL-CITY DEFENSEDL Jay Barlow AllderdiceDL Kevaun Frenzley USODL Tyrique Jarrett AllderdiceLB Jaylen Coleman USOLB Tre Gaines BrashearLB Lamar Blackwell PerryLB Myles Caitlin USODB Donte Forte USODB Will Graham AllderdiceDB Jamil Smith BrashearDB Brendan Duckett USOSECOND TEAM ALL-CITY DEFENSEDL Ryan Daniels USODL Aaron Gross PerryDL Marlin Jackson BrashearLB Duke Mulvihill AllderdiceLB Joel Nesbit BrashearLB Daron Clarke PerryLB Dontae Jones WestinghouseDB Shannon Binnion USODB Mallory Claybourne PerryDB Joquet Foster OliverDB Aaron Lyons WestinghouseHONORABLE ­MENTIONS DEFENSEDL Jordan Clayton PerryLB Bishop Gethers AllderdiceDL Harold Green USODL Neondre Harbour USODL Shakeem Cox OliverDB Aaron Myrick USODB Jasean Murphy USODB Cornelius Raye AllderdiceSPECIAL TEAMSK Jesse Irwin AllderdiceR Manny Reed BrashearFINAL CITY LEAGUE STANDINGSBrashear 7-0 7-3USO 6-1 11-2Perry 5-2 6-5Allderdice 4-3 5-7Oliver 3-4 3-8Westinghouse 2-5 3-7Carrick 1-6 1-9Langley 0-7 2-8(USO is composed of U-Prep, Sci-Tech, and Obama high schools. For football they are called U-Prep, and basketball Obama. In other sports it depends on where they practice.)last_img read more

first_imgRED BANK – The Red Bank Volunteer Fire Depart­ment held its annual chiefs election at the Red Bank Borough Courthouse. Members selected Thomas “TD”’ Doremus as chief for 2013, Thomas J. Welsh as first deputy chief and Joseph Lauterwasser as second deputy chief.Doremus is the fifth generation from his family to be a member of the Red Bank Fire Department, following his dad Thomas and his grandfather, Albert, as chief of the department.Red Bank Fire Chief Joshua Sanders (second from the left) congratulates incoming Chief Thomas “TD” Doremus and hands over the chief’s helmet to him as First Deputy Chief Thomas J. Welsh (left) and Second Deputy Chief Joseph Lauterwasser look on.Welsh is on his second, three-year term as a chief serving the Red Bank community. He is also a Red Bank fire marshal. Lauterwasser is a second-generation firefighter. His father George is a former departmental chief.A reception and celebration was held Tuesday, Dec. 4, at Independent Engine Company on Mechanic Street following the election. Mayor Pasquale Menna and Red Bank Fire Commis­sioner Arthur Murphy said a few words and commended the department on the excellent job it did during and after Super Storm Sandy. The borough officials then presented the new chiefs with their badges. Fire department members stop­ped by throughout the evening to congratulate the new chiefs.last_img read more

first_imgAn early Friday morning fire at Sparta Middle Dam, also called Bamboo Dam, on the Essequibo Coast in Region Two, completely destroyed a two-storey wooden and concrete structure owned by Bissessar Mohan, a former teacher who now resides with his family in the United States.Reports received indicate that the fire, believed to have had its genesis in the bottom flat of the building, was first spotted at about 01:30h; and as neighbours rushed to the premises in an attempt to put out the blaze, they found that they could not gain access to the building because the gates to the premises were wellThe house that was razed by fire on Friday morningsecured with padlocks.The Guyana Fire Service was summoned, but by the time they arrived on scene, the entire building was already engulfed. Although reportedly employing their best efforts, the firemen were unsuccessful in saving the fully furnished home from total destruction.Ramanie Narine, a neighbour, told Guyana Times that a strange noise had awakened her; and as she opened her eyes, she saw a bright glow being reflected through her bedroom window. As she got up to investigate, she saw the Mohans’ house on fire, and immediately raised an alarm. She noted that the owners of the house migrated to the United States three months ago.Residents believe the fire might have been electrical in origin. “Them family does come and check the place and put on the light and so… Nobody stay at the house”, the woman added.Residents are skeptical about unusual fires occurring in the community. On May 31, the home of Harry Permanand was completely razed by fire; and two houses in close proximity to the Mohans’ home were recently destroyed by fire.The owner of this latest house to have been gutted was informed of the fire and that an investigation has been launched by the Guyana Fire Service.last_img read more

first_imgFORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Sterling Middleton of Fort St. John will be joining his team, Team Tardi, at the B.C. Junior Men’s Championships.Middleton’s team, Team Tardi consisting of Tyler Tardi, Sterling Middleton, Matthew Hall, and Alex Horvath joins a list of five teams qualified for the upcoming Junior Men’s Championships.On the Remembrance Day long weekend, Team Tardi came in first at the B.C. Junior Men’s Tour with 260.00 points.- Advertisement -The team also won both the Anita Cochrane Memorial and the Rick Cotter Memorial.Team Tardi will be competing at the B.C. Junior Men’s Championships from December 27, 2018, to January 1, 2019, in Vernon, B.C.last_img

first_imgDespite recording a high temperature yesterday of 27.4 degrees, Fort St. John fell five degrees shy of a Canada Day record. On July first, 1942 we recorded a high of 32.4 degrees but today’s record of 30.7, set just two years ago, may be reachable. Right now the Environment Canada forecast high for today is 29 degrees but, the Weather Network is still calling for 30. According to Environment Canada there’s also a 30 percent chance of showers or thundershowers today and, a 60 percent chance tomorrow. That’s good news for the farming community, because we have just finished a very dry month of June. Total precipitation was only 26.7 millimeters, less than 40 percent of the monthly norm of 71.4. July is traditionally the top moisture month in this region recording an average of 83.2 millimeters.- Advertisement –last_img read more

first_imgWith many of their title rivals having extensively remodelled their playing squads, Spurs are playing catch-up, but Pochettino says several moves are in the pipeline.“Maybe three more,” he said when asked how many players he expects to bring in by August 31.“I am confident. We are working hard to change the squad and bring more players in. From our chairman Daniel (Levy) and Steve (Hitchen), our chief scout, trying to find the right profile.“We are working hard to strengthen our squad. I think it is so exciting now ahead of the Champions League and Premier League.“We need to sign a few more players and a few players need to leave the club. They need to feel they can play more and they want to play more. That is a normal period in every club.”Spurs are reported to have paid Ajax a club-record fee of £42 million ($53.9 million, 45.6 million euros) to sign 21-year-old defender Sanchez.He could make his debut in Sunday’s home game with Burnley, depending on how quickly Spurs can secure a work permit.“In the last week he was not involved in training for Ajax. Always difficult for him,” Pochettino said.“He trained with us yesterday and will train with us again. We are waiting for the work permit so we have to wait.“For me, the important thing is that he is so young — 21 years old. He is one of the most important and talented young players in Europe. He is so fast. We are so pleased to sign him and have him with us.”Spurs lost 2-1 to Chelsea last weekend in their first Premier League home game at Wembley, which is their home for the season while White Hart Lane is rebuilt.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Mauricio Pochettino has been at the helm at White Hart Lane since 2014 © AFP/File / GLYN KIRKLONDON, United Kingdom, Aug 25 – Tottenham Hotspur manager Mauricio Pochettino hopes to add three more signings to his squad before the transfer window closes next week, he said on Friday.Spurs had not signed any new players when the Premier League season started, but this week they have completed moves for Colombian centre-back Davinson Sanchez and Argentinian goalkeeper Paulo Gazzaniga.last_img read more

first_imgBut Portugal, who trail the Swiss by three points, can pip their opponents to first place with a victory as they have a vastly superior goal difference.“It was our first game and we didn’t have our best player, our talisman Cristiano Ronaldo,” Pepe, now at Besiktas but formerly of Real Madrid, told a press conference.“I know Ronaldo, and I know how much he wants to go to the World Cup,” said Pepe. “Tomorrow will be completely different.”While one side will seal a World Cup berth, the other is at least guaranteed the consolation of a place in next month’s play-offs.Portugal coach Fernando Santos is also counting on his captain to lead the way to Russia.“Any team in the world would be a better team with Cristiano Ronaldo in it, he’ll make our job much easier,” Santos said.In their last game Portugal struggled for long periods in Andorra, needing the rested Ronaldo to come on as a half-time substitute and help them stumble to a 2-0 win and set up Tuesday’s winner-takes-all showdown.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000“I know Ronaldo, and I know how much he wants to go to the World Cup,” said Portugal’s defender Pepe © AFP / FRANCISCO LEONGLISBON, Portugal, Oct 9 – Portugal defender Pepe warned Switzerland that Tuesday’s decisive World Cup qualifying clash in Lisbon would be “completely different” with Cristiano Ronaldo available for the European champions.Switzerland have won all nine Group B qualifiers so far, including a 2-0 victory over Portugal in their opening match when Ronaldo was out injured, and need just a draw to secure a place in next year’s finals.last_img read more

first_img“Any Italian coach would love to be in charge of the national side,” Ranieri, who guided Leicester to their first ever Premier League title in 2016, told Sky Sport Italia.“I have a contract with Nantes for two years and I have not received any messages, so I can’t say anything.“But if I were to be contacted for the Italy job, I’d go to the Nantes president and ask to be released,” said the widely-travelled Ranieri, whose former clubs include Juventus, Napoli and Roma in Italy, Premier League giants Chelsea and Valencia and Atletico Madrid in Spain.He also had a brief stint in charge of the Greek national side.Ranieri joined Nantes this season and the club are in fifth position in Ligue 1, 10 points behind Lyon, who are in the fourth and final European qualifying spot.Italy’s 1-0 aggregate play-off defeat to Sweden last year meant the Azzurri failed to reach the World Cup for the first time since 1958.Former Italy head coach Antonio Conte, Carlo Ancelotti and Roberto Mancini are also among those linked to the coaching job.Italy Under-21 boss Luigi Di Biagio has been appointed interim coach to oversee friendlies against Argentina and England next month.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Claudio Ranieri has said he would quit French Ligue 1 side Nantes if he is approached to become Italy coach © AFP/File / CHARLY TRIBALLEAUMILAN, Italy, Feb 21 – Claudio Ranieri, who led Leicester City to an unlikely English Premier League title, has revealed he is ready to quit French Ligue 1 club Nantes if he is asked to become Italy coach.The 66-year-old has been one of the names touted as a possible replacements for Gian Piero Ventura who was forced to resign after Italy’s shock failure to qualify for the World Cup in Russia.last_img read more

first_img1 Schalke have confirmed centre-back Joel Matip will join Liverpool in the summer after signing a pre-contract agreement with the Reds.The 24-year-old will move on a free transfer when his current contract with the Bundesliga side expires at the end of the season.The Cameroon international will reportedly pen a four-year deal at Anfield.Liverpool’s interest in Matip came to light in January, although Schalke resisted a sale and remained hopeful they could convince the defender to sign a new deal with the club.But the player decided to move on instead, with Liverpool reportedly beating two clubs from the French Ligue 1 to sign the highly-rated youngster.In a statement on their official website on Monday afternoon, Schalke confirmed their efforts to convince Matip to stay had been in vain.Chief executive Horst Heldt said: “His decision is nothing against Schalke. He wants to try something new.”“We have since May last year had many intensive discussions, both with Joel and his advisor. It was soon clear that factors would be decisive for Joel’s decision that we ultimately could not influence.”Meanwhile, Matip expressed his excitement to join Liverpool and begin life in the Premier League.“I have always said that there is only one reason I would leave Schalke – to experience something completely new,” said the defender.“For that reason, I never considered a move to another Bundesliga club. Even though the decision wasn’t easy, I am certain that this is the right moment for me to take the next step in my career.“Schalke 04 will always be like my family. I have always been very proud to play for this fantastic club.  “I will give my all in the coming months to ensure that we get the most we can out of this season. I owe that to both the fans and my team.” Schalke centre-back Joel Matip last_img read more