first_imgTopics : At the same time Bayer announced it had also agreed separate multi-million-dollar payouts to resolve longstanding legal issues involving other Bayer products, as the group tries to turn the page on its courtroom dramas.Bayer’s share price climbed nearly six percent to 74.06 euros in after-hours trading following the surprise announcement.The Roundup deal would bring closure to around 75 percent of current litigation that involves roughly 125,000 filed and unfiled claims, the statement said.It would also settle about 95 percent of the cases currently set for trial and establish “key values and parameters” to resolve the remainder of the claims, Bayer added. ‘Hard-fought battle’ Roundup is a flagship Monsanto product containing glyphosate, a widely used weedkiller that tens of thousands of plaintiffs say caused their illness — with many suffering from the blood cancer non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.Bayer suffered a clutch of financially painful setbacks in first-instance US court rulings last year, although the amounts awarded were later reduced.The legal woes have weighed heavily on the group’s share price with many observers and investors questioning the wisdom of the Monsanto takeover.Jennifer Moore, a lawyer representing several Roundup plaintiffs, welcomed the deal.”This settlement is significant for our clients because this has been a long, hard-fought battle and it brings justice for our clients,” she told AFP.Bayer maintains that scientific studies and regulatory approvals show Roundup’s main ingredient glyphosate is safe, but said when it released first-quarter earnings data in April that it “continues to engage constructively in the mediation process”.The settlement announced on Wednesday consists of a payment of $8.8 billion to $9.6 billion to resolve the current Roundup litigation, Bayer said, and $1.25 billion to address potential future litigation.Bayer stressed that the agreement would not cover three cases currently going through the appeals process.They include the landmark first Roundup case brought by school groundskeeper Dewayne Johnson who was eventually awarded $78.5 million. Dicamba deal In the same statement, Bayer said it would pay $820 million to settle decades-old complaints over Monsanto-made toxic chemicals known as PCBs that caused water contamination.It also agreed to settle US lawsuits involving dicamba herbicide which has been blamed for wrecking crops in America, by drifting on to plants unable to resist it.The group said it would pay up to $400 million to resolve pending claims in Missouri for the 2012-2015 crop years. Bayer said it expects co-defendant BASF — which also manufacturers a type of dicamba — to contribute towards the settlement.It comes after a US jury in February awarded $265 million to Missouri peach farmer Bill Bader who accused the two companies of encouraging farmers to use the weedkiller irresponsibly.Bayer said the Bader case was not included in the proposed settlement. “The company believes the verdict in Bader Farms is inconsistent with the evidence and the law and will continue to pursue post-trial motions and an appeal, if necessary,” it said.Bayer said it would make the first cash payments related to the mass settlements starting this year. Part of the funds will come from the sale of its profitable animal health unit.”All three settlements are in the best interest of the company and our stakeholders,” said supervisory board chairman Norbert Winkeljohann. German chemical giant Bayer said on Wednesday it had agreed to pay more than $10 billion to end a wave of lawsuits from Americans who say their cancers were caused by its Roundup weedkiller.The deal relieves a major headache for Bayer, which has been going on since it bought US firm and Roundup maker Monsanto for $63 billion in 2018.”The Roundup settlement is the right action at the right time for Bayer to bring a long period of uncertainty to an end,” said CEO Werner Baumann in a statement.last_img read more

first_img2 years later and I’m still fighting the Skins on something they’ve continued to do countless time . Which is why the best tackle in the game refuses to play for them now. Same reason I left. Mishandled injuries and withheld info. All evidence points to them being guilty!— Va-Cay 🌤🌴 (@iammsuzy) August 12, 2019I will continue to fight this case and as the Skins continue to call countless irrelevant witnesses to buy time and hopefully wait me out from their due fate . I will not settle no matter how much the Skins drag their feet on this . They know they’re guilty!— Va-Cay 🌤🌴 (@iammsuzy) August 12, 2019During the time I was put on the exempt list the Skins went out of their way to cut my insurance off, froze my payments, refuse to pay me and even recoup pay. All for a very real injury that THEY decided was made up. Which is why people fear being hurt in the league.— Va-Cay 🌤🌴 (@iammsuzy) August 12, 2019I will not be intimated nor will this go away anytime soon Skins. The evidence in court shows your guilty actions. The lies and mixed stories your witness provided have all been proven false . Use the CBA rules to your advantage all you want I will still win ! You will not! 💯— Va-Cay 🌤🌴 (@iammsuzy) August 12, 20192 years and no interest added to what I’m rightfully due and no timetable as to when the Skins will be forced to pay me what they owe. I’m willing to fight until the end. I thank the players who have experienced this with this team first hand that have called them on it!— Va-Cay 🌤🌴 (@iammsuzy) August 12, 20192019 NFL PREDICTIONS:AFC East | AFC West | AFC North | AFC SouthNFC East | NFC West | NFC North | NFC SouthCravens, a second-round pick in 2016, had a promising rookie season but then sat out all of 2017. A week before the start of the 2017 season, Cravens told the team he planned to retire. He was eventually placed on the reserve/left squad list by Washington.In December of that season, Cravens’ agent, Fadde Mikhail, released the following statement:“My client suffered from Post Concussion Syndrome and, under the care of Dr. Michael Collins at the UPMC Sports Medicine Concussion Program, Su’a has undergone targeted treatment and rehabilitation. He is now asymptomatic and clear to return back to ALL THINGS FOOTBALL. Su’a is excited and looking forward to the 2018 NFL season and the many years to follow.”At no point that year did Washington reveal Cravens was dealing with a medical issue.MMQB took a deep dive into the subject last year, interviewing people on both sides.Here’s an excerpt from that story: Su’a Cravens took to Twitter Monday to discuss his situation with his former team: the Washington Redskins.This isn’t the first time he’s voiced his frustrations with the franchise. But with Trent Williams’ holdout, Cravens saw an opportunity to shed light on his situation once again. Cravens believes Washington did not entertain the idea that he had a football-related injury when he met with them after learning he was placed on the left squad. “There was no argument,” he says. “It was just, This is not a football injury. You were cleared by our guys, you sprung this on us and you walked away and you basically quit.”Cravens seems to believe Williams is dealing with a similar issue with Washington. The 7-time Pro Bowl offensive lineman had a surgical procedure performed earlier in the year to remove a growth from his head.”He feels like that situation was mishandled and that when it’s something that significant and you end up having to go through a pretty serious procedure that he went through it’s not water under the bridge, it’s not something you can easily get beyond and he has not gotten beyond it,” NFL reporter Jason La Canfora said in June about Williams’ situation with the Redskins.The last 5 yrs, no team has lost more players to injury than the Redskins.Their games lost to injury is 44% above avg (per FO).Ranks18: 3217: 2516: 2815: 3114: 24In the last yr they botched Guice, Smith & McCoy injuries. All needed at least 3 surgeries for same injury. https://t.co/jJ3bBt3bq5— Warren Sharp (@SharpFootball) June 5, 2019Cravens was dealt to the Broncos before last season, and played in five games in 2018. He’s listed as the backup strong safety for Denver heading into 2019.last_img read more