first_imgTopics : At the same time Bayer announced it had also agreed separate multi-million-dollar payouts to resolve longstanding legal issues involving other Bayer products, as the group tries to turn the page on its courtroom dramas.Bayer’s share price climbed nearly six percent to 74.06 euros in after-hours trading following the surprise announcement.The Roundup deal would bring closure to around 75 percent of current litigation that involves roughly 125,000 filed and unfiled claims, the statement said.It would also settle about 95 percent of the cases currently set for trial and establish “key values and parameters” to resolve the remainder of the claims, Bayer added. ‘Hard-fought battle’ Roundup is a flagship Monsanto product containing glyphosate, a widely used weedkiller that tens of thousands of plaintiffs say caused their illness — with many suffering from the blood cancer non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.Bayer suffered a clutch of financially painful setbacks in first-instance US court rulings last year, although the amounts awarded were later reduced.The legal woes have weighed heavily on the group’s share price with many observers and investors questioning the wisdom of the Monsanto takeover.Jennifer Moore, a lawyer representing several Roundup plaintiffs, welcomed the deal.”This settlement is significant for our clients because this has been a long, hard-fought battle and it brings justice for our clients,” she told AFP.Bayer maintains that scientific studies and regulatory approvals show Roundup’s main ingredient glyphosate is safe, but said when it released first-quarter earnings data in April that it “continues to engage constructively in the mediation process”.The settlement announced on Wednesday consists of a payment of $8.8 billion to $9.6 billion to resolve the current Roundup litigation, Bayer said, and $1.25 billion to address potential future litigation.Bayer stressed that the agreement would not cover three cases currently going through the appeals process.They include the landmark first Roundup case brought by school groundskeeper Dewayne Johnson who was eventually awarded $78.5 million. Dicamba deal In the same statement, Bayer said it would pay $820 million to settle decades-old complaints over Monsanto-made toxic chemicals known as PCBs that caused water contamination.It also agreed to settle US lawsuits involving dicamba herbicide which has been blamed for wrecking crops in America, by drifting on to plants unable to resist it.The group said it would pay up to $400 million to resolve pending claims in Missouri for the 2012-2015 crop years. Bayer said it expects co-defendant BASF — which also manufacturers a type of dicamba — to contribute towards the settlement.It comes after a US jury in February awarded $265 million to Missouri peach farmer Bill Bader who accused the two companies of encouraging farmers to use the weedkiller irresponsibly.Bayer said the Bader case was not included in the proposed settlement. “The company believes the verdict in Bader Farms is inconsistent with the evidence and the law and will continue to pursue post-trial motions and an appeal, if necessary,” it said.Bayer said it would make the first cash payments related to the mass settlements starting this year. Part of the funds will come from the sale of its profitable animal health unit.”All three settlements are in the best interest of the company and our stakeholders,” said supervisory board chairman Norbert Winkeljohann. German chemical giant Bayer said on Wednesday it had agreed to pay more than $10 billion to end a wave of lawsuits from Americans who say their cancers were caused by its Roundup weedkiller.The deal relieves a major headache for Bayer, which has been going on since it bought US firm and Roundup maker Monsanto for $63 billion in 2018.”The Roundup settlement is the right action at the right time for Bayer to bring a long period of uncertainty to an end,” said CEO Werner Baumann in a statement.last_img read more

first_img SHARE Email Facebook Twitter Press Release,  Public Health Governor Tom Wolf and Secretary of Health Dr. Rachel Levine today released a weekly status update detailing the state’s mitigation efforts based on the COVID-19 Early Warning Monitoring System Dashboard. Updates will be released each Monday beginning today.The update includes the following:Level of community transmission as a basis for the recommendations for Pre-K to 12 schools to determine instructional models.Cases that reported visiting a business among potential locations where exposures may have occurred.Updated travel recommendations.The dashboard is designed to provide early warning signs of factors that affect the state’s mitigation efforts. The data available on the early warning monitoring dashboard includes week-over-week case differences, incidence rates, test percent-positivity, and rates of hospitalizations, ventilations and emergency room visits tied to COVID-19. This week’s update compares the period of August 14 – August 20 to the previous seven days, August 7 – August 13.“Our percent positivity decreased significantly this week, representing the fourth straight week that the percent positivity has decreased,” Gov. Wolf said. “This is a testament that our actions are working, but we still have more work to do. The virus is still circulating, and we must continue to wear masks, practice social distancing and avoid large gatherings to keep our numbers low, stop the spread and allow more freedom.”As of Thursday, August 20, the state has seen a seven-day case increase of 4,456; the previous seven-day increase was 5,598, indicating a 1,142-case decrease across the state over the past week.The statewide percent-positivity went down to 3.4% from 4.0% last week. Counties with concerning percent-positivity include Perry (9.1%), Huntingdon (7.8%), Northumberland (7.3%), Indiana (7.1%), Union (5.9%), Susquehanna (5.7%), York (5.5%), Beaver (5.3%), and Blair (5.0%). Each of these counties bears watching as the state continues to monitor all available data.Community TransmissionAs of Friday’s data, Union County was the one county in the substantial level with several known sources of outbreaks fueling community transmission. The departments of Education and Health will speak with school district representatives in Union County to discuss the implications of this level of transmission.For the week ending August 20, 21 counties were in the low level of transmission, 45 counties in the moderate level, with one with substantial transmission:Low – Bedford, Bradford, Cameron, Clarion, Clinton, Elk, Forest, Fulton, Greene, Jefferson, Juniata, McKean, Pike, Potter, Somerset, Sullivan, Tioga, Venango, Warren, Wayne, WyomingModerate – Adams, Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Berks, Blair, Bucks, Butler, Cambria, Carbon, Centre, Chester, Clearfield, Columbia, Crawford, Cumberland, Dauphin, Delaware, Erie, Fayette, Franklin, Huntingdon, Indiana, Lackawanna, Lancaster, Lawrence, Lebanon, Lehigh, Luzerne, Lycoming, Mercer, Mifflin, Monroe, Montgomery, Montour, Northampton, Northumberland, Perry, Philadelphia, Schuylkill, Snyder, Susquehanna, Washington, Westmoreland, YorkSubstantial – UnionBusiness VisitsThe Department of Health is providing weekly data on the number of individuals who responded to case investigators that they spent time at business establishments (restaurants, bars, gym/fitness centers, salon/barbershops) and at mass gatherings 14 days prior to the onset of COVID-19 symptoms.Of the 5,649 confirmed cases reported between August 9 and August 15, 45 percent (2,541) provided an answer to the question as to whether they spent time at a business establishment.Of those who did provide an answer, 13 percent, or 320, answered yes, they visited a business establishment 14 days prior to onset of symptoms:50 percent (159) of those who said yes reported going to a restaurant;23 percent (75) of those who said yes reported going to some other business establishment;17 percent (55) of those who said yes reported going to a bar;8 percent (26) of those who said yes reported going to a gym/fitness center; and12 percent (38) of those who said yes reported going to a salon/barbershop.Of the 5,649 confirmed cases, 48 percent (2,710) answered the question as to whether they attended a mass gathering or other large event. Of the 48 percent, nearly 12 percent (326) answered yes to whether they attended a mass gathering or other large event 14 days prior to onset of symptoms.Compared to data reported on August 14, this week’s data saw an increase in people who reported visiting a restaurant (50 percent vs. 47 percent), people who reported going to some other business (23 percent vs. 19 percent), and people going to a salon/barbershop (12 percent vs. 9 percent). Numbers went down for this week’s data for going to a bar (17 percent vs. 24 percent), going to a gym/fitness center (8 percent vs. 10 percent). The number of those who attended a mass gathering or other large event remained the same (nearly 12 percent).Case investigator notes included frequent mentions of visits to bars and restaurants among positive cases. To better understand this emerging trend, on July 13 contact tracers began asking more specific questions on the types of businesses visited and if individuals attended a mass gathering, defined as more than 250 people in attendance outdoors or more than 25 indoors.The numbers above highlight business settings and mass gatherings as possible sites for transmission. With less than half of those asked about what types of businesses they visited or if they attended a mass gathering responding to the question, the department is reminding Pennsylvanians that it is essential that people answer the phone when case investigators call and to provide full and complete information to these clinical professionals.Travel RecommendationsAlso today, the Department of Health updated its travel recommendations, originally announced on July 2, to remove Arizona from the list of states recommended for domestic travelers returning from to quarantine for 14 days upon return to Pennsylvania. No new states were added.It is important that people understand that this recommendation is in place to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in Pennsylvania. A concerning number of recent cases have been linked to travel, and if people are going to travel, we need them to take steps to protect themselves, their loved ones and their community, and that involves quarantining.Gov. Wolf continues to prioritize the health and safety of all Pennsylvanians through the COVID-19 pandemic. Pennsylvanians should continue to take actions to prevent the spread of COVID-19, regardless of in what county they live. This includes wearing a mask or face covering anytime they are in public. COVID-19 has been shown to spread easily in the air and contagious carriers can be asymptomatic.Ver esta página en español. August 24, 2020center_img Pennsylvania Shares Update on COVID-19 Early Warning Monitoring Dashboard, County Transmission Levels, Cases Traced to Businesseslast_img read more

first_imgThe immediate past Minister of Sports, Nii Lantey Vanderpuye, has exclusively revealed to Joysports poor record-keeping at the ministry is responsible for the huge debt the National Sports Authority (NSA) is saddled in.The NSA has gone bankrupt with a debt in excess of GHc2 million in default of electricity bills, as well as owing Meridian Travel and Tours and Goshen Travel and Tours $25,600 and $25,000 respectively.In addition to this, the National Sports Authority is fighting a Court order in favour of Litina Travel and Tours Agency who are demanding Judgment debt of $380,000 for denying themthe opportunity to airlift Ghanaians to the 2015 All Africa Games.The Travel agency took to the court after a contract it legally won was handed to another company.According to Vanderpuye book-keeping is a big problem for the NSA‘’As a Minister when the issue came to me, we went through all our records and there is no record of Litina Travel and Tours having won a contract from the Ministry so I asked my Chief Director to engage them (NSA) to furnish the ministry with the records of that contract award in other for us(Ministry) to know… there are so many of these debts’’ ‘’One of the things that is affecting the Ministry is a lack of legal representation, reason a lot of judgment have been given against the ministry’’‘’The difficulty we were having was that some of these cases run as far back as 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011 and documentation was a problem, records were no available’’last_img read more

first_imgBosnia and Herzegovina’s (BiH) women soccer team lose to Russia 6-1 in Group 1 of the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup qualifiers on Thursday in Zenica, a city some 70 km northwest of BiH capital.At BiH Football Training Centre in Zenica, Lidija Kulis took the corner and netted for the BiH in the 5th minute when Russian goalkeeper scored its own goal. The visiting team tides the score in 26th minute when Russian Elena Danilova shots from 10 meters distance. Russia team scores for 2-1 in 39th minute when Maria Galay hits the lower right corner and scores.In the second half-time, Russian Elena Morozova scores from the penalty spot for 3-1 in 53rd minute. Five minutes later, in 58th minute Nadezhda Smirnova scores for 4-1 and after 24 minutes, Elena Danilova scores for 5-1 for the visiting team (in 82nd minute). Nadezda Smirnova scores again in 90 plus 2 minutes for the final 6-1.Currently, BiH is on the fourth place in Group 1 with 3 points, while Russia is ranked third with 4 points. Twenty-four teams, including France the other eight European qualifiers, will compete in the finals in from 7 June–7 July 2019. There will be six groups of four teams with the top two plus the four best third-placed teams progressing to the knockout phase.Sarajevo Timeslast_img read more

first_imgA man charged with two counts of rape has been allowed to travel to the UK for two music festivals.The man, who is in his 20s, appeared at Letterkenny District Court in Co Donegal. The alleged offences took place at an address in Letterkenny on July 29th, 2016.Barrister for the accused man, Mr Ivan Toner, made an application to the court asking if the man’s bail conditions could be varied.A previous court ruled that the man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, should sign on at Letterkenny Garda station and surrender his passport.However, Mr Toner said his client was working at two music festivals in the UK and would not be able to sign on and would also need his passport returned.The man will be out of the country for a total of eight days when he travels to the two festivals.He is to return his passport to Gardai when he returns from the festivals.Garda Inspector Goretti Sheridan agreed to the application on behalf of the Gardai.Inspector Sheridan said the Director of Public Prosecutions had agreed to prosecution on indictment at the Central Criminal Court.Among the other condition imposed including a cash lodgement of €2,000, that he provide a mobile phone number and that he have no contact with the alleged victim.Legal aid was granted to the man.Judge Deirdre Gearty adjourned the case has been adjourned until September 21st.Man charged with rape is given passport to attend music festivals was last modified: September 1st, 2017 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:courtdonegalmusic festivalspassportrapelast_img read more