first_imgNotre Dame’s Army ROTC Iron Irish competition tested more than physical strength Wednesday.The second year of the annual competition placed the four army platoons against each other, racing across campus to complete tasks, Cadet Second Lieutenant and senior Scott Vitter said.Platoon B1 won after performing well through several of the events, Vitter said.“We did very well on the swimming portion,” he said. “Overall, we came out on top.”The competition is the culmination of a semester-long scored competition between the platoons, Cadet Lieutenant Colonel and senior Tom Capretta said.“The main reason we run the Iron Irish Race is to build platoon cohesion through competition.  Cohesion is important to the success of any unit in the military,” Capretta said. “As cadets, we try to improve ourselves and each other, and building a cohesive team is an important part of accomplishing that goal,” Capretta said. “The competition also affords leadership opportunities to our upperclassmen, which is important preparation for us as we look to become commissioned officers in the U.S. Army.”The Iron Irish competition included five events. The platoons competed in a timed swim, rope climb, ruck run, simulated rifle competition and a “mystery event,” which was a paintball tournament on White Fields between the platoons that was postponed due to a thunderstorm warning.“The weather was terrible, but it was a lot of fun,” Vitter said. “The storms added another dimension to the competition, making it more difficult, but people stepped up and worked.”He said event planners hope to have the paintball tournament in future years.“At the end of the day, all of the tasks are meant to be completed by everyone,” Vitter said. “There’s more to get out of the competition than who has the fastest time.”Vitter said before the competition he was hopeful his platoon would perform well as a unit.“I hope we show the camaraderie and group mentality that we’ve developed over this semester,” Vitter said.Cadet Corporal and sophomore Trevor Waliszewski, also a member of platoon B1, was also hopeful for a win.“A win would increase the solidarity of our platoon and establish as the clear favorites for all battalion competitions next year,” Waliszewski said.Waliszewski said the competition helped his platoon think together.“The Iron Irish is an event designed to motivate us to work harder during Physical Training sessions throughout the year,” he said. “As we will be completing all of our challenges as a platoon, the event encourages teamwork and makes us look out for one another.”Waliszewski said the event helps prepare for real-world combat experience.“The Army teaches us a Warrior Ethos including the statement, ‘I will never leave a fallen comrade,’ and Iron Irish allows us to put that into effect as we complete all the challenges as a team. It’s a competitive environment where we can learn lessons that will make us better officers in a real-world combat environment,” he said.Vitter said he attributes his platoon’s win to the group mentality.“Our platoon has come a long way since last semester in terms of teamwork and cohesion,” Vitter said. “That was the biggest part of today. We may not be the biggest or strongest platoon out there but we worked together and that’s what the competition was about.”last_img read more

first_img Executive director Les Reed reiterated the club’s position after they allowed striker Rickie Lambert – who coincidentally will face his former club at Anfield on the opening day of next season – to join Liverpool in a £4million deal earlier this month. “Lallana’s been here long enough, we’ve brought him to this level and we feel that perhaps he should give it a little bit longer,” he told BBC South Today. “Anybody seriously considering coming for our players is going to have to think very significantly about the size of the fee. “If we do take money it will be because it’s the right amount and it enables us to improve the team and move forward.” Southampton are holding out for more money for Lallana as they owe former club Bournemouth a 25 per cent sell on fee. Reports in Germany claim Liverpool have opened talks with Bayern Munich over a deal for Switzerland winger Xherdan Shaqiri, who is being considered as an alternative should they not be able to seal the Lallana deal. Rodgers is also looking to offload a few players this summer but a deal to take winger Oussama Assaidi to Stoke on a permanent basis has reached an impasse on two fronts. The Moroccan enjoyed a promising loan spell at the Britannia Stadium last season and Mark Hughes is keen to secure the 25-year-old permanently. Brendan Rodgers’ interest in the England international, currently at the World Cup in Brazil, is long-standing and the Reds have tabled a couple of bids – the last a take-it-or-leave-it offer of £25million. There was some hope there may be movement once Southampton appointed a successor to Mauricio Pochettino but the arrival of Ronald Koeman this week does not appear to have altered Saints’ stance. However, Liverpool’s valuation – they reportedly want £2million more than the £3million Stoke believe he is worth – and the fact the player is currently sidelined with a knee injury is holding up negotiations. “We can’t do anything until we know where he is regarding his recovery,” Potters chairman Peter Coates told The Sentinel. “We do have a serious interest but we have other irons in the fire to make sure we have got the right balance in that area.” Liverpool have been warned they face a fight to sign Adam Lallana from Southampton this summer. Press Associationlast_img read more

first_imgThrough a Steelers spokesman, quarterback Mason Rudolph last week denied speaking a racial slur to Browns defensive end Myles Garrett and igniting the brawl at the end of Pittsburgh’s Week 11 game in Cleveland. On Sunday, soon after he was benched in Cincinnati due to poor play, Rudolph faced questions about the allegation for the first time since it surfaced.”It’s totally untrue. I couldn’t believe it,” Rudolph said. Garrett, in his appeal of an indefinite suspension by the NFL, claimed Rudolph uttered the slur. “I couldn’t believe that he would go that route after the fact. It is what it is. I think I moved on. One day it was tough. Moved on. We’re good now.” Pressed on whether Garrett might have heard something that, as the reporter asking the question put it, could have been left to interpretation and deemed a racial slur, Rudolph responded: “Absolutely not. There was nothing. Not even close.”Mason Rudolph on Myles Garrett’s accusation he used a racial slur in the Cleveland fight:“It’s totally untrue. I couldn’t believe it. I couldn’t believe he would go that route after the fact.” pic.twitter.com/5PvYFcNtzg— Brooke Pryor (@bepryor) November 24, 2019NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told ESPN last week that the league “found no such evidence” when it investigated whether Rudolph directed a slur toward Garrett at any point of the brawl, during which Garrett ripped off Rudolph’s helmet and hit the QB with it, earning the Pro Bowl pass-rusher his suspension.MORE STEELERS-BROWNS BRAWL: A complete list of suspensions and finesIn a statement issued hours after his claim of a slur was reported by ESPN, Garrett defended himself: “I was assured that the hearing was space that afforded the opportunity to speak openly and honestly about the incident that led to my suspension. This was not meant for public dissemination, nor was it a convenient attempt to justify my actions or restore my image in the eyes of those I disappointed.”I know what I heard. Whether my opponent’s comment was born out of frustration or ignorance, I cannot say. But his actions do not excuse my lack of restraint in the moment, and I truly regret the impact this has had on the league, the Browns and our devoted fans.”Rudolph’s attorney, Timothy M. Younger, added on Thursday: “According to ESPN, in his appeal, Myles Garrett falsely asserted that Mason Rudolph uttered a racial slur toward him, prior to swinging a helmet at Mason’s uncovered head, in a desperate attempt to mitigate his suspension. This is a lie. This false allegation was never asserted by Garrett in the aftermath of the game, never suggested prior to the hearing, and conspicuously absent in the apology published by the Browns and adopted by Garrett.”The malicious use of this wild and unfounded allegation is an assault on Mason’s integrity which is far worse than the physical assault witnessed on Thursday. This is reckless and shameful. We will have no further comment.” MORE: Browns fans hit Rudolph pinata with helmetGarrett received the harshest punishment of anybody involved in the brawl. The third-year Browns defender’s suspension will keep him out of the team’s final six games of the 2019 season and any potential postseason games. The NFL decided to uphold the suspension despite the appeal by Garrett, who had a meeting with the commissioner’s office Nov. 20. Garrett was also fined $45,623.Rudolph was not suspended but received a $50,000 fine for his role in the fight.last_img read more