first_img September 29, 2014 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Are the Congolese authorities planning to expel all the journalists who do their job? March 31, 2021 Find out more The latest victim, Brazzaville-based Cameroonian journalist Elie Smith, was the victim of an attack in his home earlier this monthFour days after expelling independent journalist Sadio Kante Morel, the Republic of Congo (Congo-Brazzaville) has done it again, this time deporting Elie Smith, a Brazzaville-based Cameroonian journalist. The interior ministry accused him of subversion.Employed as a producer and programme host on MNTV (a station owned by the president’s brother, Maurice Nguesso), Smith was expelled on 26 September with a “strict prohibition” on returning.Speaking in the Cameroonian city of Douala, Smith told Reporters Without Borders: “A dozen plainclothes policemen came to my office to get me. They didn’t let me take anything except my passport. They escorted me like a criminal to the airport where they showed me an expulsion order signed by the interior minister.”The deportation order accused him of “many seditious and subversive acts,” “secret dealings with foreign powers working against the Republic of Congo’s interests” and “excessive political activism.”“Smith’s deportation is not only outrageous but also very disturbing for the future of freedom of information in Congo-Brazzaville,” said Cléa Kahn-Sriber, the head of the Reporters Without Borders Africa bureau. “Are the Congolese authorities planning to expel, one by one, all the journalists who do their job? We urge the government to end this wave of censorship, which casts serious doubt on its readiness to provide its citizens with democratic guarantees during the coming referendum and elections.”Smith was the victim of a violent home invasion on 10 September, three days after posting photos on his Facebook page of badly injured activists who, he said, had been beaten up by members of a special police unit as they left an opposition meeting.Police director-general Jean-François Ndenguet initially said he would find the perpetrators of the home invasion. But Smith’s repeated calls on the police to also arrest those who gave the orders must have annoyed Ndenguet, known for having already threatened journalists, including Smith. The home invasion was unanimously condemned by media organizations and several international organizations. The European Union delegation and the embassies of EU member countries issued a joint statement voicing the hope that Smith would be able to “continue working with his characteristic professionalism, without fearing a new attack on himself or a member of his family.”The first person to report that Smith had been the target of an attack at his home was Kante Morel, the journalist who was herself expelled on 22 September, shortly after being held at the police general-directorate for several hours.The message is clear – it is hard being a journalist in Republic of Congo, which is ranked 82nd out of 180 countries in the 2014 Reporters Without Borders press freedom index.(photo: Elie Smith) Organisation RSF_en Congo-BrazzavilleAfrica May 4, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Congo-Brazzaville News March 5, 2021 Find out more Receive email alertscenter_img Congo celebrates World Press Freedom Day by sentencing a journalist to six months in prison Help by sharing this information Congo-BrazzavilleAfrica to go further Joint call for Brazzaville journalist’s release News News Ailing magazine editor held illegally in Brazzaville for more than a month Newslast_img read more

first_imgThe shop at Bettys Café Tea Rooms in the centre of Ilkley is the second of the brand to be updated.All six Bettys Café Tea Room branches in Yorkshire will be undergoing improvements. The most recent completed redesign was that of Bettys Café Tea Rooms in St Helen’s Square, York.The Ilkley work used sustainably-sourced oak, cast bronze fittings and marble counter tops, in a style based on the Arts & Crafts movement, complementing the design of the café.There is now a tasting area to allow customers to sample Bettys Speciality Tea and Coffee, and a new chocolate counter offering a selection of 20 varieties of handcrafted chocolates. The shop will now also offer a wedding and celebration cake consultation service.Samantha Lawton, manager at Bettys Ilkley, said: “We are thrilled with the new-look shop.“We have been careful to keep the ‘Bettys feeling’ that we’re known and loved for, and our lighter and brighter shop area offers a much more engaging shopping experience for customers, with more room for browsing, sampling and demonstration of our craft skills.”last_img read more

first_imgVice President Leni Robredo claims President Rodrigo Duterte’s war on drugs has been a failure and a dent on the country’s international image. IBTIMES Robredo further said: “The lives of our people are on the line and the dignity of our country is on the line, but my first call is for our government to take care of the mess.” MANILA – President Rodrigo Duterte shouldabandon his deadly war on drugs that has been a failure and a dent on thecountry’s international image, Vice President Leni Robredo said. “We have seen a lot of police that have abused their powers and not been penalized so this is where the International Criminal Court could come in, if we do not show the world that we can take care of our own mess,” she said. The 18 countries who voted to adopt the Iceland-led resolution were Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Fiji, Iceland, Italy, Mexico, Peru, Slovakia, Spain, Ukraine, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and Uruguay./PN Eighteen countries have voted for the approval of the resolution during the 41st session of UNHRC in Geneva. Fourteen opposed it and 15 countries abstained. The UN Human Right Commission (UNHRC) adopted the Iceland resolution last July for an international investigation into the spate of killings and human rights violations in the country due to President Duterte’s “war on drugs.” “We ask ourselves, ‘Why is this still happening?’ The President has already made very serious threats to drug syndicates, to drug lords … and yet it’s still very prevalent, so obviously, it’s not working,” Robredo stressed Wednesday in an interview with Reuters. According to Robredo, the President should allow the United Nations (UN) to investigate his war on drugs, which has overwhelmingly targeted the poor rather than big drugs networks.last_img read more

first_img“Any Italian coach would love to be in charge of the national side,” Ranieri, who guided Leicester to their first ever Premier League title in 2016, told Sky Sport Italia.“I have a contract with Nantes for two years and I have not received any messages, so I can’t say anything.“But if I were to be contacted for the Italy job, I’d go to the Nantes president and ask to be released,” said the widely-travelled Ranieri, whose former clubs include Juventus, Napoli and Roma in Italy, Premier League giants Chelsea and Valencia and Atletico Madrid in Spain.He also had a brief stint in charge of the Greek national side.Ranieri joined Nantes this season and the club are in fifth position in Ligue 1, 10 points behind Lyon, who are in the fourth and final European qualifying spot.Italy’s 1-0 aggregate play-off defeat to Sweden last year meant the Azzurri failed to reach the World Cup for the first time since 1958.Former Italy head coach Antonio Conte, Carlo Ancelotti and Roberto Mancini are also among those linked to the coaching job.Italy Under-21 boss Luigi Di Biagio has been appointed interim coach to oversee friendlies against Argentina and England next month.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Claudio Ranieri has said he would quit French Ligue 1 side Nantes if he is approached to become Italy coach © AFP/File / CHARLY TRIBALLEAUMILAN, Italy, Feb 21 – Claudio Ranieri, who led Leicester City to an unlikely English Premier League title, has revealed he is ready to quit French Ligue 1 club Nantes if he is asked to become Italy coach.The 66-year-old has been one of the names touted as a possible replacements for Gian Piero Ventura who was forced to resign after Italy’s shock failure to qualify for the World Cup in Russia.last_img read more