first_img More Cool Stuff Community News latest #1 Nearby Sierra Madre Shaken by Brazen Bank Robbery Published on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 | 3:12 pm First Heatwave Expected Next Week Business News Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked * faithfernandez More » ShareTweetShare on Google+Pin on PinterestSend with WhatsApp,Virtual Schools PasadenaHomes Solve Community/Gov/Pub SafetyPasadena Public WorksPasadena Water and PowerPASADENA EVENTS & ACTIVITIES CALENDARClick here for Movie Showtimes Pasadena’s ‘626 Day’ Aims to Celebrate City, Boost Local Economy Get our daily Pasadena newspaper in your email box. Free.Get all the latest Pasadena news, more than 10 fresh stories daily, 7 days a week at 7 a.m. Name (required)  Mail (required) (not be published)  Website  2 recommended0 commentsShareShareTweetSharePin it center_img Community News Pasadena Will Allow Vaccinated People to Go Without Masks in Most Settings Starting on Tuesday Top of the News Subscribe Image: FBIA brazen bank robber brandishing a semi-auto handgun pepper-sprayed employees and demanded more money than a teller gave him in a frightening mid-day robbery of a bank in nearby Sierra Madre on Wednesday.The FBI is investigating if the suspects are connected to a bank robbery crew that has robbed 24 banks in Los Angeles County since November 2015 — including one in Pasadena.The man entered the Bank of the West at about 1 p.m. dressed in an all-white jumpsuit and wearing a mask before robbing employees and fleeing with another suspect in a car.Sierra Madre Assistant City Manager Elisa Cox said it was fortunate there were no bank customers at the time of the robbery at the branch located in the 100 block of West Sierra Madre Blvd.“At about 1 p.m., a male suspect entered the bank dressed in all white, wearing a painter’s mask and a wide-brimmed black hat,” Cox said. “He demanded money from the employees and pepper-sprayed them. Then he fled in a silver sedan with an unknown driver.”Cox said they were expecting the FBI to be on the scene and that the city has meanwhile decided to close West Sierra Madre Blvd. where the bank was located, from the Hermosa intersection up to Windsor Lane.The city closed Sierra Madre Boulevard between Hermosa Avenue and Windsor Lane for several hours as the Sierra Madre Police Department and the FBI investigated the robbery.Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call the Sierra Madre Police Department, (626) 355-1414. Make a comment Herbeauty15 Countries Where Men Have Difficulties Finding A WifeHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeauty10 Easy Tips To Help You Reset Your Sleep ScheduleHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeauty7 Reasons Why The Lost Kilos Are Regained AgainHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyA Mental Health Chatbot Which Helps People With DepressionHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeauty9 Of The Best Family Friendly Dog BreedsHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyEverything You Need To Know About This Two-Hour ProcedureHerbeautyHerbeauty EVENTS & ENTERTAINMENT | FOOD & DRINK | THE ARTS | REAL ESTATE | HOME & GARDEN | WELLNESS | SOCIAL SCENE | GETAWAYS | PARENTS & KIDS Home of the Week: Unique Pasadena Home Located on Madeline Drive, Pasadenalast_img read more

first_imgThat Croatian destinations are becoming increasingly popular among French travel enthusiasts is confirmed by the tourist traffic realized so far this year.Namely, French tourists have so far made about 450.000 arrivals and 1,7 million overnight stays, which compared to the same period last year represents a growth of 6 percent in arrivals and overnight stays, according to the CNTB.Croatia’s excellent position in this market is confirmed by a large number of media publications in the most relevant French media. This is proved by the cover and a large report of 48 pages about Croatia, which was published in a prestigious magazine specializing in travel “GEO“. It is a monthly that in the August issue brings a large report on the Croatian islands of Vis, Hvar, Cres, Brač, Korčula, Mljet, Zlarin and Dugi otok. Croatian islands are described as places that offer the authenticity of destinations with preserved nature, which is a very popular trend among French travel lovers. The circulation of this magazine is more than 250.000 copies, and it is estimated that it is followed by about five million readers.  “Numerous interesting and attractive articles have been published in the French media in recent weeks, focusing on almost all Croatian regions. We are especially pleased with the turn of the French media and the attention they pay to parts of Croatia that have not been in focus so far, such as Istria. Thus, recently in the central information daily Rovinj was recommended as an ideal holiday destination”, she stated Director of the CNTB Representation in Paris Danijela Mihalić Đurica. Croatia Island Trophy in October on Brač, Hvar and VisFrom October 14 to 17, a large humanitarian sports event Croatia Island Trophy will be held on the islands in the Split-Dalmatia County, ie on Brač, Hvar and Vis, with the participation of 150 people from French public life. This RAID ADVENTURE sports event is intended exclusively for women and it is a wish that it be held regularly in Croatia in the coming years. The concept includes female competitors participating in sports activities such as running, rowing, hiking and cycling. The ambassador of the event is the former First Lady of France, Valerie Trierweiler, who is also an active participant in Raid Adventure, an organization that forwards part of the funds raised to the international association KEEP A BREAST whose main purpose is breast cancer prevention globally.last_img read more

first_imgI’m certain that I was just one of the thousands of people who were fervently refreshing junior Juju Smith-Schuster’s social media accounts Saturday afternoon in search of an answer to the question:“One more year?”When the standout receiver tweeted that a decision on his senior season would be announced in “a couple hours” Saturday, it was 3:19 p.m. With eyes glued to my smartphone, I rapidly began updating my Twitter feed at 5:19 p.m. Everybody knows that “a couple” entails two hours, right? Nope, still nothing from the receiver concerning his decision. Then, at exactly 6:00 p.m. on Saturday, Smith-Schuster dropped the bombshell on Twitter: He will forgo his senior season and declare for the 2017 NFL Draft.Smith-Schuster’s announcement-tweet included a letter to the Trojan Family. In the letter, he said, “I have loved my time at USC and wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world. Playing for USC was truly a dream come true, and I am proud of what we were able to accomplish in three years.” He also noted that USC will always be a huge part of him and that he sees the program is in a position to compete for a national championship. Looking back, there’s no question that Smith-Schuster will go down as one of the greatest Trojan wideouts in USC history. Statistically, Smith-Schuster ranks fourth all-time in career receptions by a USC receiver (213); he also ranks fifth all-time in Trojan history in receiving yards (3,032) and touchdowns (25).And within his bundle of impressive statistics, there are countless JuJu memories that will be replayed over and over in the minds of Trojan fans for years to come. We’ll never forget the time Smith-Schuster, in the open field, pointed out Utah defensive back Dominique Hatfield before viciously stiff-arming him to the Coliseum turf as USC upset the then-No. 3 ranked Utes. Or how about the time in 2015 when he reeled in eight catches for 138 yards and a touchdown against Arizona — all with a pretty-much-broken right hand. In 2016, Smith-Schuester had a pair of three-touchdown receiving performances against Arizona State (Oct. 1) and Arizona (Oct. 15).In last week’s Rose Bowl Game against No. 5 Penn State, Smith-Schuster made the play that sparked the Trojans’ 17-0 run over the final 8:15 of regulation to defeat the Nittany Lions. Redshirt freshman quarterback Sam Darnold found Smith-Schuster streaking down the sideline for a 27-yard connection that put the Trojans at the Penn State 3-yard line before USC proceeded to punch in a crucial late-game score. The catch, which Smith-Schuster made with one arm, was initially ruled incomplete, but the call was overturned and the catch confirmed upon further review.If you asked me what play got USC back into that Rose Bowl, I would tell you that this catch in the fourth quarter by Smith-Schuster is what catapulted the Trojans back into the game.No doubt, Smith-Schuster’s receptions and clutch performances (seven catches, 133 yards and a touchdown in Pasadena last week) have landed him a permanent spot in Trojan football lore. But, now looking back pensively, I feel that one of Smith-Schuster’s most pivotal plays may have been one of the few times he didn’t catch the ball when targeted.No matter how you look at USC’s season, one cannot deny that Sam Darnold was the golden boy for the Trojans this year. Without the emergence of Darnold, there was simply no hope for the Trojans to even dream of a Rose Bowl berth.We’ve all heard the story a hundred times over now: USC gets off to an anemic start offensively this season; redshirt junior Max Browne out as quarterback; enter Darnold.Now let’s take a look at the timing of the quarterback switch and the role Smith-Schuster played in installing Darnold as the Trojans’ permanent signal caller.Browne was replaced by Darnold after the Trojans suffered a 27-10 loss to then-No. 7 Stanford in Week 3. On a third down play in the fourth quarter against the Cardinal, Browne targeted Smith-Schuster for what would be his final passing attempt as the Trojans’ starting quarterback.  A solid throw from Browne failed to connect with Smith-Schuster in the end-zone. The receiver was tied up with a Stanford defender in the process of trying to make the catch; he failed to reel in the ball with his one available arm and the pass fell incomplete.The ball hits the turf. It’s fourth down, and Browne trots off the field for the final time as USC’s starter. The failure to reel in that accurate dart to Smith-Schuster’s hands just may have saved the Trojans’ season.If Smith-Schuster somehow found a way to catch that pass, the whole course of the 2016 campaign would have been altered in an unknown manner.It would be hard to imagine the USC coaching staff making the switch that they did in Week 4 for Darnold had Browne connected with Smith-Schuster on that play, which would have been a 46-yard touchdown pass late in the Stanford game. If Smith-Schuster found a way to reel in the pass with one arm — as was nearly routine during his time as a Trojan — who knows how long Browne would have gone in the season as USC’s head signal-caller?In retrospect, most can agree that head coach Clay Helton’s switch to Darnold was the turning point of the Trojans’ season. Without the incompletion to Smith-Schuster in the late stages of the Stanford game, we may have seen more of Browne this season, and less of Darnold at quarterback.And as harsh as it may sound, the longer Browne stood in as USC quarterback, the lesser the likelihood was of the Trojans making a bowl game in 2016, let alone the Rose Bowl Game.No Darnold, no Rose Bowl: that’s a statement every USC follower should be able to agree with.As strange as it may sound, Smith-Schuster’s drop on a September night in Palo Alto may have been the birth pangs of the Sam Darnold era — and the commencement of USC’s Rose Bowl run.And with that, the Trojan Family collectively should be saying, “Thank you for everything, Juju, even the drops.” Whether it was making one-handed catches that left us scratching our heads, delivering bone-crushing hits, playing with crushed bones or even “JuJu-ing on that beat” on a Thursday night against Cal, you always left us wanting more.Angel Viscarra is a sophomore studying broadcast and digital journalism. His column, Viscarra’s Vice, runs on Tuesdays.last_img read more