first_imgAn investigation into what is being described as ‘classified information’ to the Daily Observer newspaper in respect to an imminent strike action to be staged by officers protecting the lives and properties of the judicial branch of government began yesterday at the Temple of Justice.The judicial source hinted to this paper that the investigation was ordered by Court Administrator, Cllr. Elizabeth Nelson.The hierarchy of the judicial security is overseeing the investigation into the leak, with help from other court administrators’ offices.They are mandated to investigate how classified information of LRD3000 monthly entertainment benefits found its way into the media.According to the source, the investigation could not take place yesterday because the investigators decided to include all 62 officers, instead of the initial three officers they targeted to probe.Surprisingly, the head of the Judicial Security, Col. Paul Tuazama, who initially confirmed the information regarding LRD3000 entertainment benefits, is the person heading the investigation.“A full investigation has been launched into the purported leak,” a source told this reporter, indicating that the term of reference of the committee is to establish whether or not protocol governing the management of classified information at the judiciary was breached.“It is illegal, in terms of the judicial classification protocols, to disclose information of such a nature and such leaks undermine the credibility of the judiciary,” the source quoted Cllr. Nelson as angrily telling her investigators.She noted with concern media reports about the contents of classified intelligence reports belonging to the judiciary, the source further quoted the former NEC chair as saying.“The leaking of information on operational details of the judiciary’s security entertainment benefits, is condemned in the strongest terms,” she was reported to have said.The Daily Observer last Tuesday reported on an imminent go slow action to be staged by judicial officers at the Temple of Justice allegedly due to the failure of the Judicial Branch of Government to supply them with tea and sugar, especially officers serving on the night shift.The go-slow information along with the 2015 US$19.3m judiciary budget was gathered from an interview held with Col. Paul Tuazama, head of the judicial security.The Daily Observer report said that out of the over US$19million, the lawmakers allocated US$763,279 for the upkeep of the offices of the Chief Justice and US$1,524,625 for the four Associate Justices of the Supreme Court.The night shift officers even alleged that they are exposed to cold and harsh weather conditions and therefore need the supplies requested.The report also named lack of medical aid and the failure of the Justices to include some of their colleagues on the government payroll.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

first_imgStudents attending the Irish language school Colasite Mhuire in Louganure are to get esorts home from ceilis and discos after an incident in which a number were attacked with hurley sticks last year.A meeting between Gardai, college authorities, public representatives and Mna Ti was held yesterday to discuss measures aimed at stopping a repeat of last year’s attack.The incident, in which a number of students from Northern Ireland were attacked by older locals, put a serious question mark over this year’s courses taking place. Former Armagh footballer, school teacher and BBC football pundit Jarlath Burns, whose 15 year old son was struck with a hurley stuck and needed hospital treatment, asked afterwards if people in Donegal really wanted visiters from Northern Ireland or not.Othe students from the group were punched and kicked and one was dragged across a road.Earlier this week letters were sent to mna ti of Colaiste Mhuire in Loughanure asking them to attend the meeting at which the health and safety of tudents coming into the area for Easter week and the summer months would be discussed.The media were not allowed into the meeting and nobody from Colaiste Mhuire would speak about the meeting afterwards. However a number of decisions were made in an effort to ensure that students continue to come to the college while still guaranteeing their safety.These include an agreement that a man or woman aged 18 or over from each house where students stay accompany them from ceilis and discos back to their homes.Students have also been prohibited from taking pictures in the homes where they are staying while a special emphasis has also been put on road safety.Last year’s vicious attack does not appear to have had an impact on the numbers of students with all three courses at Colasite Mhuire already booked out this summer.More than 100 pupils are about to start a week long Easter revision course. Among some of the many teachers involved in the famous Donegal college was Michaela Harte, the tragic daughter of Tyrone GAA boss Mickey Harte who was killed on honeymoon at the beginning of this year.A source at Colaiste Mhuire admitted that some ‘tough-talking’ had taken place atfer last year’s incident but he said it was all for the betterment of the college.“What happened last year was a disgrace and it must never be allowed to happen again. Parents were concerned and that was very understandable.“However the vast majority of people in Loughanure love to see the students coming. These measures simply had to be put in place to make sure nothing else like this happens again,” he said. It is estimated that between students and their families, more than 1,000 visitors come to te Loughanure area each generating almost €1 million for the local economy.EndsSTUDENTS TO GET ESCORTS FROM IRISH COLLEGE AFTER HURLEY ATTACK was last modified: April 23rd, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Colaiste Mhuirehurley attackLoughanurelast_img read more