first_imgYoung Jamaicans are being encouraged to do something for their communities through schools and youth groups on National Children’s Action Day, as part of activities to celebrate Child Month 2013, to be observed in May.The Day, being organised by the National Child Month Committee (NCMC), will be observed on Friday, May 10, and the main project is the St. Anne’s Infant School, 48 North Street, downtown, Kingston. Efforts will be made to repair its facilities, including the playground, bathrooms and surrounding areas.Each year, the NCMC selects a National Action Day Project for the main activity of the day.Speaking at a recent JIS ‘Think Tank’, Chairperson of the NCMC, Dr. Pauline Mullings, said the Day is an opportunity to “promote community spirit” and to help children understand that “whereas they do have rights, they also have responsibilities”.“We are asking all adults to ensure that the children from your church, school clubs and communities are involved in doing beautification programmes,” she said, adding that some children can be involved in projects such as the planting of trees or painting of pedestrian crossings. She emphasized that children must be guided by an adult before embarking on a job. Another main event during Child Month is National Children’s Day to be celebrated on Friday, May 17. Last year, Governor-General, His Excellency the Most Hon. Sir Patrick Allen, proclaimed the third Friday of May each year as National Children’s Day.“This is the day when every child on the street, in your personal care, and in the school must be treated the same way as we treat Mother’s Day and Father’s Day,” Dr. Mullings said.She is encouraging all Jamaicans to wear something yellow on that Day to reflect the sunshine of children. Motorists are also being asked to keep their headlamps on to show that “we do love, care, recognise, honour and celebrate our children,” Dr. Mullings said.Child Month was first celebrated in May, 1953, under the patronage of Lady Foote, wife of the then Governor.By E. Hartman Reckord, JIS Reporterlast_img read more

first_img Facebook TORONTO, May 23, 2017 – CraveTV presents the third season of the critically acclaimed, Golden Globe-nominated comedy series, CASUAL. From Lionsgate, the series is executive produced by Canada’s own Jason Reitman (Juno, Up in the Air) and created by Zander Lehmann (THE SHANNARA CHRONICLES), and continues to follow the offbeat and cringe-worthy adventures of bachelor-brother Alex (Tommy Dewey, THE MINDY PROJECT), his divorced sister Valerie (Michaela Watkins, NEW GIRL), and her teenage daughter Laura (Tara Lynne Barr, AQUARIUS).The first three episodes of the new season are streaming now on CraveTV. A new episode streams every Tuesday.Season 3 picks up where Season 2 left off, with Alex, Valerie, and Laura dealing with the surprise consequences of a family crisis. In the new season, Valerie’s decision to move out propels the trio to rebel, exploring different jobs, partners, and unfulfilled passions. As they adjust to a new normal, can they maintain boundaries, or will they revert to the comfort of codependency? Advertisement Advertisement LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Login/Register With: Advertisement As was discussed by Lehmann at last January’s Television Critics Association press tour, nine out of the 13 new episodes of CASUAL are directed by female directors, including Gillian Robespierre (Obvious Child), Amy York Rubin (FOURSOME), Lake Bell (HOW TO MAKE IT IN AMERICA), Carrie Brownstein (TRANSPARENT), and others.Nominated for a 2016 Golden Globe Award for Best Television Series – Musical or Comedy, CASUAL is a Lionsgate and Right of Way production. The series is created by Zander Lehmann. Executive producers are Reitman, Lehmann, and Helen Estabrook. Showrunner is Liz Tigelaar. Lionsgate serves as international distributor for the series.The series streams as part of CraveTV’s popular Comedies Collection alongside some of the best TV comedies ever made, like SOUTH PARK, SEINFELD, 30 ROCK, MARRIED WITH CHILDREN, ENTOURAGE, and EASTBOUND & DOWN.CraveTV Social Media:@CraveTVCanadaFacebookInstagramAbout CraveTVCreated for TV lovers and devoted to television, CraveTV is Canada’s premium TV streaming service, providing the most robust lineup of superior television content in the country. From TV’s most-acclaimed dramas and beloved comedies to documentaries, music, and factual programming, CraveTV features thousands of hours of premium non-kids TV programming, representing hundreds of unique titles including the entire off-air library of HBO’s iconic programming catalogue and hundreds of hours of acclaimed SHOWTIME series and specials. CraveTV is available directly to all Canadians with access to the Internet, as well as to customers of Eastlink, TELUS Optik TV, Bell Fibe TV, Bell Satellite TV, Bell Aliant FibreOP TV, Access Communications, Northwestel, SaskTel, Cable Cable, Hay Communications, Mitchell Seaforth Cable TV, Tuckersmith Communications, Wightman Telecom subscribers, NRTC Communications, WTC Communications, Tbaytel, Execulink Telecom, and VMedia. Available through traditional set-top boxes, mobile apps on iOS, Android, and Microsoft Windows 8.1, the web, Apple TV, Chromecast, and select Samsung Smart TVs, and CraveTV will soon be available via select game consoles. CraveTV is from Bell Media, Canada’s premier multi-media company with more than a decade of leadership delivering Canada’s most-watched and most-acclaimed television programming across the Pay, Specialty, Digital, and Network TV landscapes. For more on CraveTV, visit www.CraveTV.ca. Twitterlast_img read more

Not that so many people have missed the NHL, but the league and players seem to be finally making some headway in labor negotiations that have claimed the first month of the season.A secret, long-awaited bargaining session has spurred so much hope that there are plans for another meeting in coming days.NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly and players’ association special counsel Steve Fehr met for long stretches Saturday in an undisclosed location, marking the first time the sides had gotten together for talks in more than two weeks.”We had a series of meetings over the course of the day and had a good, frank discussion on the most important issues separating us,” Daly told The Associated Press in an email Sunday morning. ”We plan to meet again early in the week.”Daly and Fehr hadn’t met since Oct. 18 when both sides rejected offers, but a series of phone conversations this week did enough to produce a new round of talks. It is unclear how long they were together on Saturday, but the discussions lasted well into the night.”I agree with what Bill said. Hopefully we can continue the dialogue, expand the group, and make steady progress,” Fehr said Sunday in a statement.There is a sense of urgency now because nearly two months of the season and the prized Winter Classic have already been called off. The hope of a full season being played is already gone, and if a deal isn’t reached soon, the NHL could be looking at its second lost campaign since 2004.The lockout reached its 50th day Sunday, but a glimmer of optimism emerged. There have already been 327 games canceled – including the outdoor Winter Classic that was wiped out Friday.A big point of contention between the NHL and the players’ association has been the ”make whole” provision, which will ensure that all existing player contracts will be paid out regardless of any changes made to the split of hockey-related revenues or contract language.The NHL appears ready to cover more of the costs of those deals as opposed to making them part of the players’ share of revenue in future years. In its most recent offer last month, the NHL said it would honor the current contracts in deferred payments, but those would be included in the players’ share of revenues. read more

first_img Montego Bay’s Elegant Corridor ‘Lights Up’ Gov’t Committed To Survival Of Sugar Industry Related Items:Hon. Derrick Kellier, JIS regional office, labour and social security minister, marlon tingling, montego bay, path Sandals’ Ceo Stewart’s A Winner… Again! Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Recommended for you Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppMONTEGO BAY, Sept. 8 (JIS):Labour and Social Security Minister, Hon. Derrick Kellier, is advising persons, who feel that they have been unjustly denied access to, or removed from the Programme for Advancement Through Health and Education (PATH), to make a report to the appeals committee in each parish. Mr. Kellier, who was speaking during a tour of the Ministry’s Hanover parish office on Friday (September 5), said persons have been complaining that they are not on the PATH list, or that they have been taken off for various reasons.“What I want the public to know is that in every parish, there exists an appeals committee and if for any reason, you have been unjustly removed from the programme or you have not been given access to the programme, make an appeal…so that your case can be revisited,” he stated. He also urged the officers to help dispel “this belief that persons with fridges, stoves and televisions in their houses are not eligible (for PATH)…it’s not true.”Minister Kellier also reiterated his call for PATH beneficiaries to honour their obligations to the programme, including ensuring that children regularly attend school and clinic.“The children must go to the clinic…and they must go to school at a minimum of 85 per cent of the designated school time…otherwise they will find themselves being removed from the programme,” he noted.PATH has an annual budget of over $4 billion and the stipulations must be met as the Government is compelled to make reports to the multi-nationals that fund the programme.Minister Kellier said the Government continues to receive rave reviews from its Caribbean counterparts for its handling of the PATH programme. “The PATH initiative is the flagship poverty (reduction) programme of the Government and it is the best run programme in the entire Caribbean when it comes to social protection. Other governments are sending their representatives here to learn from us about how we run this programme because the international agencies have confirmed that Jamaica has one of the best run social protection programmes,” he said. – 30 –CONTACT: MARLON TINGLING JIS REGIONAL OFFICE MONTEGO BAYlast_img read more

first_img Sasha Foo Sasha Foo, 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) — The Broadway musical “Hamilton” continues to strike a chord with audiences everywhere it goes, even with audiences who aren’t that knowledgeable about the founding of the American Republic.On Thursday, nearly 3,000 high school students in San Diego County saw a performance of the hit musical for free at the Civic Center theater, as part of an education program inspired by the Tony award-winning musical.The program, which is also known as “EduHAM” is the brainchild of an educational non-profit in New York, in collaboration with “Hamilton” creator Lin-Manuel Miranda.In addition to studying the people and events that led to the creation of the new republic, students were encouraged to compose their own songs, poetry, rap and dramatic scenes about the period.That creative work was showcased on the Civic Center stage by student performers from 16 area high schools.Some work paid tribute to historical figures such as Crispus Attucks, Thomas Paine and Paul Revere. One student group upended the term, “Founding Fathers” with a homage to the women of the American Revolution.The education program was developed for high school history students attending Title I schools, which are schools with a large number of students who come from low income families. Posted: January 11, 2018 Categories: Local San Diego News Tags: Community, Hamilton, Lin-Manuel Miranda FacebookTwittercenter_img Taking history from the classroom to the stage: High school students perform work inspired by ‘Hamilton’ Updated: 10:55 PM January 11, 2018last_img read more